Need advice on ammo prices.

2ndAmndmnt

Established Member
Jun 30, 2021
Hoover
Hello everyone, ! I ran into a bit of a hardship during all of this crazy going on. Before polluting the ammo for sale forum, I wanted to get some advice on pricing ammo. I don't want to be unreasonable but I also cannot give the ammo away. Thank you in advance for advice

Here is what I have to sell:

80 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point
20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Winchester JHP Bonded
20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Federal Hydro Shock JHP
20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR TAP FPD + P Hornady
50 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Monarch FMJ
200 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Winchester FMJ

40 rnds 7.62 x 54R 148 GR FMJ

Have an sks and a lot of 7.62 rnds as well, not sure i am letting this go yet.

Again , thank you in advance for your help

Sammybailey

Established Member
Feb 12, 2017
Athens
Hello everyone, ! I ran into a bit of a hardship during all of this crazy going on. Before polluting the ammo for sale forum, I wanted to get some advice on pricing ammo. I don't want to be unreasonable but I also cannot give the ammo away. Thank you in advance for advice

Here is what I have to sell:

20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Winchester JHP Bonded
20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Federal Hydro Shock JHP
20 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR TAP FPD + P Hornady
50 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Monarch FMJ
200 rnds 45 ACP 230 GR Winchester FMJ

40 rnds 7.62 x 54R 148 GR FMJ

Have an sks and a lot of 7.62 rnds as well, not sure i am letting this go yet.

Again , thank you in advance for your help
.50 a round is reasonable.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
I had to hold on to some .22 for 5 years to get what I paid for it. This time, I ended up with 1,000 rounds of .308 that I will have to hold on to, or sell at a loss, or shoot it. The market can shift very fast. I learn lessons every time. This time, I learned not to "hold" something for sale for someone, until they can get back to town.

CBG

Established Member
Apr 23, 2021
Hoover, AL
It would be a good idea to look at GunBroker (on the Al Gore Internet) to get a good idea of what folks are asking for each particular "variety" of 45ACP. I have also learned that I sometimes just break even on a deal but learn a lot. The beauty is, if you buy furniture, you will spend a lot. If you sell furniture, you will get $0.20 on the dollar. That is why I buy all my tables and chest at the Salvation Army Family Store. However, guns and ammunition seem to hold their value. Pistols I sold for $1,000 a year ago are now going for $1,500. When I was younger this would have really upset me. Now I look at it as a way of blessing other folks who, one day, may come to my aid.

GA 1911

1911, S&W, Long rifles
Dec 15, 2016
Sandy Springs, GA
I just bought a can (they call it Canned Heat--500 rounds) of .45 ACP from Georgia Arms for $245. That's $0.50/round.

Wait, there was also sales tax of $20 (7.75%).

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Ammo is a commodity, price changes daily

Look on ammoseek.com find the ammo in question (within reason, winchester white box 9mm is replaceable by blazer brass is replaceable with federal, etc, etc find a similar name brand and case type) and price it that way.

Include shipping and tax
anyone complains, point them to ammo seek or any other internet provider with ammo in stock and compare to your price.

That said, you have some very specific ammo listed, for example

You are not really going to get a 'comparable' that is a specific ammo
Find it on ammo seek in stock and price accordingly

I get there are some people that will pay more to buy locally FTF
you can risk trying to find those people

Saying you can't sell for a loss means you don't understand the market we are currently in the middle of. The longer you wait, the lower ammo prices will most likely go (unless another event of some sorts happens)

That said - you can always find a sucker if you look hard enough ;)

2ndAmndmnt

Established Member
Jun 30, 2021
Hoover
Ha, I understand it is a commodity and obviously I have been out of the loop concerning ammo sales, since I have never needed to or done it before. You provide some good information. I like to be educated before moving forward, so thanks to those with positive input. Cash flow has improved, so no rush to sell. Definitely not looking for suckers

Last edited:
Reactions: Trs

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Ammo is in a crazy phase with a downward trend, in the last month on two occasions one at Academy and one online steel case was higher than brass!! It's a crazy world when Winchester USA forged (worst of the steel cased by far) is 4 to 6 cents higher than Blazer Brass!!