Open Carry Vs Concealed Carry

Line Rider

Established Member
Feb 5, 2016
Greenbow, Alabama
I've been carrying concealed since I was 22 yrs old. I'm now about to turn 57 so that's 35 yrs. 27 or that 35 years I've been in Law Enforcement and I've never had a problem.

Jack Ryan

Established Member
Feb 2, 2019
Indiana
I live in Indiana and always have but for a 5 year sentence to Wisconsin. So don't take this as any comment on Alabama, ya'll decide what ya want to do there.

I carried concealed for 35 years while I had a job working at GM. It was an instant firing offense, no questions asked, I NEVER heard of any one beating the rap no matter who or what they were in the union, for carrying a firearm on company property.

Been retired 10 years now and I don't give a flip what any one else wants, says, feels, or thinks about it. I carry on my hip @3:00 and I carry what ever I want to and go where ever I want to with it on. When its cold I wear a coat and when it is not, I don't. I don't believe for a second it makes me a target any more than any other whims of the criminal mind might make someone else a target. IMHO, it probably makes me "one to pass up. wait for a duck".

I've got carry permits from Indiana and Utah both and I'm an NRA firearms instructor. Not to say that is anything special other than this ain't my first rodeo this evening. My opinions are my own and may or may not represent the NRA suggestions on the topic.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I always carry concealed just for the fact of I do not want to cause a stir or looks. I would rather stealth my way through anything unless I have no choice but to pull it out. I also carry in my truck where I can reach it if need be but you have to look to find it.

Soupsgotthemoney

Established Member
Apr 23, 2020
AL
Honestly, I only conceal carry as to not stir up other people. It’s my business if I want to carry a firearm(as long as I do it safely) and I don’t want hear everybody’s comments about it. I believe that as far as tactics, open carry has a definite advantage in getting in use. But that’s a lot of hassle for a small advantage for a situation that may never happen. So it’s concealed IWB for me.

Eddie Maxwell

Established Member
Sep 11, 2017
Rock Creek
Carrying a pistol concealed in Alabama was first defined as a crime in 1838 in spite of the Constitution of Alabama 1816, Article I, Declaration of Rights excluding the matter from the powers of government.

Our current Declaration of Rights still excludes the matter of bearing arms for defense from "the general powers of government" (Article I, Declaration of Rights, Sections 26 and 36).

Montgomery Sheriff Reid was arrested for carrying a concealed pistol for defense after his life had been threatened. The Supreme Court of Alabama ignored Section 30 that excluded the matter from the powers of government and declared all laws restricting the right to be void.

The attorney general argued before the courts that carrying concealed was, "...
a practice which had been greatly promotive of violence and bloodshed".

Alabama's current criminal code defines the act of carrying a pistol concealed as a crime (C.o.A., Section 13A-11-50). Section 13A-11-73 is nothing more than a bribe to allow one to commit the crime of carrying a concealed weapon without being arrested for committing the same crime as one who does not have the same permission to commit the crime.

Public servants who support those laws instead of our Constitutions are unprosecuted felons. They have sworn in their official oaths of office to support our Constitutions but have committed first degree perjury, a class C felony, by supporting laws that violate our Declaration of Rights.

State v Reid 1840

https://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/state_v_reid.txt

Eddie Maxwell

Established Member
Sep 11, 2017
Rock Creek
Pistol permits are supposedly issued for defense, but the Alabama Supreme Court has declared that to be an inefficient means of bearing arms for defense:

"Under the provision of ourconstitution, we incline to the opinion that the Legislature cannot
inhibit the citizen from bearing arms openly, because it authorizes him to bear them for the purposes of defending himself and the State, and it is only when carried openly, that they can be efficiently used for defence." [emphasis added]

Supreme Court of Alabama, 1840 in State v Reid

https://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/state_v_reid.txt

The Alabama Legislature that declared by its law:

"The act of the 1st of February, 1839, "To suppress the evil practice of carrying weapons secretly, ..." then later allowed permits to be sold to the permit holder to engage in that very same "evil practice".

Attorney Generals of our state now violate their oath of office to support laws that allow selling permits to commit what they call in court, "an evil practice conducive of violence and bloodshed" instead of supporting our Declaration of Rights.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I usually carry concealed most of time, usually under my shirt or coat or Tee shirt during summer weather. Once I get in my vehicle, I uncover it and carry open as it’s a little difficult to retrieve and draw if needed wearing a seat belt confined inside the vehicle.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
Open carry is a political statement (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that), but folks that open carry need to make sure they represent gun owners well. I.e., they dress well, act friendly and professional, carry in a secure retention holster, etc. A lot of open-carriers don't do this very well. I see a lot carrying in cheap nylon-and-velcro holsters, with sagging belts, that act rude or confrontational towards other people, and that's a serious problem.

I opt to conceal most of the time unless I'm out camping alone or working outside, both to avoid spooking people and for the tactical advantage of not drawing attention to myself.

Doubletap

Established Member
Feb 7, 2016
Argo
I don't wear shorts because of my ankle holster and all of my wardrobe is selected to prevent detection of my carry piece.....js

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I mostly carry concealed. I think it is mostly a privacy thing for me. It is no one else's business if I am carrying.

In my most previous state of residence (MA), open carry is legal but you would lose your license to carry if you did. The local police chief would find you "unsuitable" for a license. (Each chief in each of the 351 towns in MA can determine what unsuitable means!) Regardless, no license, no firearms, period. I am so glad I escaped.

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
I prefer concealed carry but during deer season I openly carry a 357 Rossi snub nose or a 357 Super Blackhawk while hunting. Both carried in leather holsters to finish a deer off if needed without shooting it again with the rifle.

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
I am not a Fan of Open Carry for the following reasons. Some have already been mentioned.
1). I don't want to be the first target.
2). No one else needs to know.
3). The open intimidation factor goes back to being the first target.
4). Most people wouldn't know how to defend that weapon against someone dead set on taking it.
5). Why? When you don't have to and can get a permit.

I open carried in AZ in the late 80's and as soon as concealed carry permits where available in the early 90's.
I got one and never open carried again.