Pistol Range Suggestions and Cahaba River WMA Questions

RustyRooster

Established Member
Sep 16, 2023
Birmingham
I am trying to get to a gun range soon and am hoping to get some help finding what options are available. I don't necessarily need something that checks all the boxes, but the more the better. ANY options you could suggest would be helpful. Any public ranges, membership-based ranges, police ranges that are open to the public, etc. The closer to Birmingham, the better, but I'm willing to drive (maybe just not to Huntsville or Mobile). Thanks in advance.

I've heard the Cahaba River WMA might be good. Anyone have recent experience with it? Do you have to bring your own target stand? Can you shoot pistol at 10 yards? Can you draw from the holster?

Preferences:
  • Outdoor
  • Drawing from holster, running drills, etc. allowed
  • Also have rifle range at same location
  • Nice to have: pistol bays where you can be alone or with a smaller group
  • Nice to have: target stands provided, steel targets available

Any suggestions you have, throw em on up!

mhobtr

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Birmingham
Brock's Gap is great if you are OK paying a membership. It's in Hoover so if you go often, the savings in gas helps offset the membership fee. https://www.brocksgap.com/

CMP has a great range near the Talladega Superspeedway.

There's also a nice range in the Talladega National Forest but it's a longer drive.

Be careful if you go to Cahaba River WMA or Talladega National Forest. They are unsupervised and some strange characters show up sometimes. Keep a loaded pistol with you at all times and be careful what you leave accessible when you walk to targets or to and from your car. Snatch and grab has been a problem at some of those.

DB35114

Established Member
Oct 3, 2021
Alabaster
Cahaba in Helena has sign in station at top of hill by pistol range you must show valid hunting license or management license when signing in with the state employee that runs it ,it is open daylight to dusk ,days vary from summer to winter months,back in the 90’s it was like the Wild West out there people drinking and causing trouble .not like that anymore but as with everywhere now days be ready for anything.the pistol range has target stands and some steel targets set up 25yard max has covered shooting area
100 yard rifle range is below the pistol range covered shooting area with benches Range rule!!!!!!! When cold not shooting clear weapon leave on bench then stand behind the painted line behind the shooting bench once everyone is cold then go down range to check targets or set them up.you can find all details online it is a nice place but during summertime get there early or you will wait long time same as October people sighting in deer rifles,I was out there last September.https://www.outdooralabama.com/shooting-ranges/cahaba-river-wma-shooting-range

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Cahaba in Helena has sign in station at top of hill by pistol range you must show valid hunting license or management license when signing in with the state employee that runs it ,it is open daylight to dusk ,days vary from summer to winter months,back in the 90’s it was like the Wild West out there people drinking and causing trouble .not like that anymore but as with everywhere now days be ready for anything.the pistol range has target stands and some steel targets set up 25yard max has covered shooting area
100 yard rifle range is below the pistol range covered shooting area with benches Range rule!!!!!!! When cold not shooting clear weapon leave on bench then stand behind the painted line behind the shooting bench once everyone is cold then go down range to check targets or set them up.you can find all details online it is a nice place but during summertime get there early or you will wait long time same as October people sighting in deer rifles,I was out there last September.https://www.outdooralabama.com/shooting-ranges/cahaba-river-wma-shooting-range
You can also have just a fishing license is what the RSO told me. Even though i have all my WMA and hunting licenses as well.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Cahaba WMA range is pretty nice!! I have not shot on the pistol range but I love the setup they have for the rifle range because you can move the backstops up from 100 yards to 50 if need be to sight in. Also sometimes the RSO is leniant and will let you use an AR rifle on the pistol range as long as you don't use green tips. If he is in a good mood. But the waiting line is long. That place is ALWAYS packed. Like the post above said you have to have some kind of hunting license,/ wma license or conservation i.d number to give them and show that it is valid.the shotgun range is pretty good too! All they ask is that you clean up your hulls.

RTJ Traveler

Established Member
Jan 25, 2024
Prattville
Being new to the area and the State, this might be a nice option for a road trip from here in Prattville. About an hour North of me of Google Maps is correct. I was able to find a decent family run outdoor range here too. But, I might have to make a day of it and visit.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham

condoor

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2024
Alabaster
We shoot at Cahaba a couple of times a month, it has gotten so much better since they rebuilt it and staffed it. They even have a few night shoots for people with night vision each year now.
That is good info! I shot there this past year and was really impressed with the facility. Do they post when they are doing the night shoots online? thx-c

Combatlab

Established Member
Jan 14, 2024
Chelsea
They usually post the night shoots on the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries facebook page. I spoke with an officer at the range a few weeks ago and he said they were planning several for the spring, waiting on it to warm up a little I’m sure.

condoor

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2024
Alabaster
They usually post the night shoots on the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries facebook page. I spoke with an officer at the range a few weeks ago and he said they were planning several for the spring, waiting on it to warm up a little I’m sure.
Great thx - following them now.