Restoring gun rights

Zero

Established Member
Sep 6, 2020
Madison County
Unfortunately the end of their sentence isnt always the end of their criminal career. Plenty of frequent flyers out their. We as a society dont have the means or will to build enough prisons to lock up most of these guys for life.

Maybe the prison system needs to be reformed and for profit systems abolished then? Nordic countries have the lowest prison population and felons often do not return because they reform and provide services so the people can integrate into society.

MadeInDixie

Staff member
May 10, 2016
Birmingham
I agree. I have watched multiple documentaries on the prison system in Europe and their prisons are like 4 star hotels. They actually focus on the rehabilitation of the offender instead of just locking them away. Privatization of the prison system is the biggest racket and money maker ever.

Blackwarriorjammin

Established Member
Jun 14, 2021
Tuscaloosa
Maybe the prison system needs to be reformed and for profit systems abolished then? Nordic countries have the lowest prison population and felons often do not return because they reform and provide services so the people can integrate into society.
The vast majority of our correctional facilities in our country are run by counties and states and are actually costing tax payers money not making money per say. For profit prisons aren't the source of our ill.

Blackwarriorjammin

Established Member
Jun 14, 2021
Tuscaloosa
I agree. I have watched multiple documentaries on the prison system in Europe and their prisons are like 4 star hotels. They actually focus on the rehabilitation of the offender instead of just locking them away. Privatization of the prison system is the biggest racket and money maker ever.
I'm sure the homogeneous Nordic countries don't have to consider the violence sparked by different racial and ethnic groups being housed in the same facilities as we do here either. They have the ability to actually focus on being true correctional facilities. Here staff is just worried about not getting killed in the middle of these riots

copperhead-1911

Established Member
Feb 29, 2016
New castle/livingston
2 parts to this.
1. What is everyone's opinion on nonviolent or nonsexual felons getting their gun rights back?
2. If you knew somwonebin this situation, what would be your advice to them on how to go about doing so?
Thank you.
Well when people talk about felons getting thier right to vote back I often bring up why not get their gun rights. Now i do this because as we know many if not most supporting this have an agenda and the party most felons would support is the same one who wnats to restrict guns.

As far as non violent felons depending on the felony ( some drug crimes like trafficing are non violent but have violence all around them) I am ok with them getting it back

CBG

Established Member
Apr 23, 2021
Hoover, AL
Don't know if many of you remember G. Gordon Liddy from Watergate fame. Incredibly talented and intelligent man. I heard him on a radio program where the question came up about his gun ownership being a convicted felon. He remarked that he "did not own any guns", but that his wife had several. Clever man.
He was a Special Agent in the FBI (before Watergate of course) and was rated by the Treasury Department as a pistol expert whose draw and hit was timed electronically by the FBI at 60/100 of a second. Liddy was once assigned by the Secret Service to protect President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

redredred

Established Member
Dec 13, 2020
Birmingham
Well I can speak on this situation from personal experience. I had some drug convictions back in the late 70s. I decided to try to get my rights restored. It is an extremely lengthy process. Took me eight years. And you go through every kind of investigation possible. They scrutinize everything about you. And you have to have several very good character references. You even have to give a DNA sample. You go through five or six different stages and at every stage they eliminate some. Extremely hard to get. But I did get mine several years back.

Reactions: Trs

DC0509

EVERYONE Needs to Read the Constitution!
Dec 9, 2020
Shelby County
I absolutely believe restoration of gun rights upon completion of the sentence is the right thing to do. Especially in relation to non violent, non sexual felonies. I know several people that have accepted felony deals simply because it was the only way they would be released from jail. Guilt or innocence had absolutely nothing to do with it. Being charged with a crime is NOT the same thing as being found guilty of a crime by a jury AFTER you have been allowed to exercise your 6th Amendment right, which does include the right to a trial without unnecessary delay. However if you are forced to remain in jail for a month before even talking to a judge because of a bail amount that strips you of your 8th Amendment right for no other reason than the fact that you are poor, (I mean its not like you've been convicted of a crime o_O); and while you're in jail, your family, which was already barely able to support itself regardless of how hard you and your wife work, can do nothing but watch as this "Justice System" destroys their lives as well. Does that sound like "Innocent until Proven Guilty in a Court of Law"? Then the newly branded "Felon" is stripped of his rights, including the right to bear arms, as well as being railroaded into a "Probation" system that most often sees problems arise ONLY if and when the unreasonable financial obligations start failing to be met. And all of this while remembering "Guilt" had NOTHING to do with it.

bronicabill

Established Member
May 26, 2019
Madison, AL
I had a felony back in 1983 where a firearm was involved. Guy tried to run me over with his car so I defended myself with a legally carried revolver. Problem was there were no witnesses willing to come forward and say what they saw, so it was my word against his. I was uninjured, and he had a bullet in him, so guess who took the legal hit?

Anyway, I did my 3-years probation and by 1990 had a full pardon from the state with the restoration of all rights, including gun rights. Once NICS came online I started getting delayed, so I applied for and received a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) from the feds which I use when buying from any firearms dealer, and my background check goes through without a hitch.

Oh, and no attorney was required... I just asked for the pardon and received it!

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I had a felony back in 1983 where a firearm was involved. Guy tried to run me over with his car so I defended myself with a legally carried revolver. Problem was there were no witnesses willing to come forward and say what they saw, so it was my word against his. I was uninjured, and he had a bullet in him, so guess who took the legal hit?

Anyway, I did my 3-years probation and by 1990 had a full pardon from the state with the restoration of all rights, including gun rights. Once NICS came online I started getting delayed, so I applied for and received a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) from the feds which I use when buying from any firearms dealer, and my background check goes through without a hitch.

Oh, and no attorney was required... I just asked for the pardon and received it!
Good to hear. You got screwed over but glad everything was made right in the end.

Randomprojectile

Established Member
Nov 29, 2021
Northern Bama
But you are still lumping all felons in the same group. I personally know felons that have became pastors, successful business owners and productive members of society. I also personally know felons that were institutionalized while locked up and are still living that life. If someone can go 10 years without getting into trouble with the law after their sentence is done then I believe they should have every right restored.
I agree. There ought to be a way to meet all the punishments and conditions associated with a crime. Otherwise, if a crime is so great that someone cant be fully reintroduced back into society, the punishment should be death.

For example, a crime might come with 5 years confinement, 5 years probation. Assuming you get to the end of all the punishments and conditions (with no issues), you should be seen in good standing and fully reintegrated into society. If we want to add additional conditions to specific crimes, like double probationary period or standing on your head, so be it, but whatever the conditions, if they meet them they should be done. Otherwise, again it's not full reintegration. Throughout history, if someone couldn't be reintroduced in good standing back to society, they were either banished or executed. Overcrowding and other issues are related, but separate problems. They are important, but not justification to not properly address this.

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
The following statement is merely my opinion that I haven't seen quite "spelled out" the way I see it, although I can tell others might agree. If you disagree that's fine, as I can imagine some probably will.
The first thing you have to determine is, do you believe that the Constitution/Bill of Rights is the Supreme law of the land and in that, America is the land of the free?
The 2nd Amendment ends with "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." There isn't anything after that. In other words it doesn't say "unless you're a convicted felon, and so on".
For a LEO to say, "well the law says a felon can't be in possession of a firearm..." means by their actions they don't really believe in a free America and the Constitution, including the Bill of Rights. Because if they can arrest a felon just because he/she has a firearm on the primus that the law says so, then when a law gets passed that Christianity is outlawed due to "hate speech against gays", etc., they will arrest everyone going to church.
If that's how they believe America should be, that's their opinion and they should vote to shred the Constitution and start over.
If they believe the Constitution/Bill of Rights is the Supreme law of the land despite what lawmakers say, including political Supreme Court rulings, then they shouldn't infringe on the rights of people despite titles they carry in society.
The real issue here is that they shouldn't let people who are a danger to society out of prison. If they didn't, this wouldn't be a conversation.
Again, just my opinion...