Rural Area Shooting

Nokgriot

Established Member
Jan 1, 2020
Hartford, AL
Hey everyone, got some questions in regards to shooting shotguns and pistols in rural areas. I live in south Alabama in the country, outside of city limits in Geneva county, on a few acres. We are surrounded by woods, more woods, and some cattle land. How would we find our local laws on any noise ordinances or shooting laws for our area? I can’t imagine there would be any other than “don’t shoot towards a house or people”. We have plenty of people around us who like to shoot too. Is there a website for general guidelines for shooting in the country?

Below is a picture for reference. In the yellow is my property, and the red line is the direction we shoot. Our property goes downhill, so we throw clay pigeons tree height and shoot at them. If we target shoot pistols we have backdrops in front of the tree line.

A4AE8A4F-1B42-4698-A85B-49BDEA84E4F3.jpeg

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Pretty much but shotguns are not going to go that far. You can shoot in any direction it looks like. But you would be fine shooting into the woods.

Nokgriot

Established Member
Jan 1, 2020
Hartford, AL
Just an update, I called Geneva County Sheriffs Office and spoke to an officer. There is no noise ordinance and as long as you shoot in a safe direction, and practice safe shooting habits, there are no laws against shooting.