Selling protocol Birmingham Area

_benhw0171

Established Member
Nov 14, 2023
Birmingham
I’ve never sold/bought from anyone I didn’t know. Is there some kind of standard place where people meet up for private sales? I feel like it’s not a good idea to just meet up in any old place for a gun sale. I also wouldn’t feel super comfortable giving a stranger my address and or going to their house. What’s everyone els’ experience?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Best thing to do on the meeting issue is to pick a public place during daylight hours. I’ve met folks outside of gun stores, Lowe’s, grocery stores, Jacks, various restaurants, etc. The key is a public open space during the day time.

I generally would not go to someone’s home or any place that wasn’t very open and public.

Some cities, such as Oneonta near me, have a parking area across from the police department for people to meet for sales. Again a public and open area during the day time is best.

Beyond that pay attention and ask the question of whether the deal is too good to be true or does that sixth sense tell you something just isn’t right about the other party? Lastly, I’m always armed just in case.

Having said all of the above and having done dozens of transactions with people in Alabama over the last few years, I can attest to >99% of those interactions were very smooth and easy.

_benhw0171

Established Member
Nov 14, 2023
Birmingham
Best thing to do on the meeting issue is to pick a public place during daylight hours. I’ve met folks outside of gun stores, Lowe’s, grocery stores, Jacks, various restaurants, etc. The key is a public open space during the day time.

I generally would not go to someone’s home or any place that wasn’t very open and public.

Some cities, such as Oneonta near me, have a parking area across from the police department for people to meet for sales. Again a public and open area during the day time is best.

Beyond that pay attention and ask the question of whether the deal is too good to be true or does that sixth sense tell you something just isn’t right about the other party? Lastly, I’m always armed just in case.

Having said all of the above and having done dozens of transactions with people in Alabama over the last few years, I can attest to >99% of those interactions were very smooth and easy.
Good info. Still waiting to get my 10 posts so I can put a listing up but I’ll keep all that in mind once I do.

_benhw0171

Established Member
Nov 14, 2023
Birmingham
What do you have to sell?
I have a canik Tp9 elite sc in tungsten. Includes box, all accessories, and 12 and 15 round magazines. Optics ready and also includes canik owb/iwb holster. Also throwing in a slim fit holsters aiwb kydex holster. Less than 500 rounds through it. Excellent condition.

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
I’ve never sold/bought from anyone I didn’t know. Is there some kind of standard place where people meet up for private sales? I feel like it’s not a good idea to just meet up in any old place for a gun sale. I also wouldn’t feel super comfortable giving a stranger my address and or going to their house. What’s everyone els’ experience?
I use a bill of sale to record info including CC permit or DL and usually do the transaction at my home. My theory is that weeds out some with bad intent since I control the space.I keep bill of sale for 2 years and then toss.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
To each their own of course but man I have to say I would NEVER do one at home unless I knew the person. Maybe if they had some great feedback on here but that’s definitely a risk.

cajunuahfan

Established Member
Oct 2, 2023
Etowah County
Done this many times, most times at a public place. A couple of times at the seller's house, but only after doing some checking.
Another good place to do a transactions is at a fire station.

WileyG

Established Member
Dec 17, 2023
North Alabama
It's very rare that I sell anything but even when buying I have done web searches of the person's name and looked on FB to see if anything throws a flag. Open, daylight public places are the only place that I'd consider for buying or selling.

Jpope

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Childersburg, AL
Good advice here. Generally won't have any problem finding a spot that works for both the buyer and seller if both are on the up and up. But sometimes when you find your grail gun you wind up driving 3 hours to meet under a streetlight in a one horse town about 11 pm at a mechanic shop. Hey don't judge. I have a mint condition Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Do you?