Smith and Wesson moving to Tennessee

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Looks like sometimes around 2025 smith and Wesson will be primarily located out of Blount county Tennessee.

I’m sure by now you have read it or seen it around different outlets but I thought I would be good discussion for us here since Tenn is real close to Alabama and I use smith and Wesson quite a bit as for edc.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Yep, this is great news. Hopefully all the other gun manufacturers will realize they're in enemy territory and move to the South where we'll actually appreciate them.

Reactions: Trs

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Hopefully they'll move all their operations down too. They have been in Springfield MA about 170 years. The fools in MA state government are talking about passing a law to ban the manufacture of "assault" rifles in the state.

None of you would believe the stupid gun laws (or sometimes threat of laws) they have in that state. I am thankful every day that I escaped the people's republic of assachusetts.

As I hear it, they are moving corporate offices first. I suspect it will take a while to move forging, machining and metal finishing facilities. They have railway at their site to move materials and products.

They have a history of caving to dumb demands from the local pols. For examples, they had a public range and tours but stoped them due to political presure. Hopefully this wil be a rebirth for them.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Hopefully their quality doesn't decline as some others that have moved South.

There are a lot of complaints about Berettas manufactured in Gallatin, TN, and I think the the quality (or lack thereof) of Remingtons coming out of Huntsville was a contributing factor to their demise.

A quote to me from one of the production-line managers at Huntsville while they were still operating was, "I can't believe we don't a 100% return rate with these dumb mf'ers putting these things together. There's no way I'd buy a gun made here."

Reactions: Trs

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
Yep, this is great news. Hopefully all the other gun manufacturers will realize they're in enemy territory and move to the South where we'll actually appreciate them.
For sure on that! The only reason so many of these companies are in gun-hating New England is because that’s where many got their start during the Industrial Revolution in America in the early 19th Century. But those days are long gone when a gun manufacturer could operate freely in that region without being hassled by the local authorities and “world improvers.”

I think it is inevitable that every gun manufacturer in America will end up migrating to Dixie or the Rocky Mountain West. The West Coast and much of the East Coast is simply too politically hostile to guns today.

LoneStar

Established Member
Aug 3, 2023
Alabama
Hopefully their quality doesn't decline as some others that have moved South.

There are a lot of complaints about Berettas manufactured in Gallatin, TN, and I think the the quality (or lack thereof) of Remingtons coming out of Huntsville was a contributing factor to their demise.

A quote to me from one of the production-line managers at Huntsville while they were still operating was, "I can't believe we don't a 100% return rate with these dumb mf'ers putting these things together. There's no way I'd buy a gun made here."
The obvious solution to this is to hire better people. That usually means paying higher wages and providing decent benefits. If you pay dumb Goober wages you end up with dumb Goobers on the manufacturing line. I realize that price competition makes this hard, but there is also a thing called qualitative competition. When forced to choose, smart companies keep quality high and simply raise their prices. There will always a demand for high quality firearms and smart buyers willingly pay more to get something they can depend on.