So is there a consensus on using 55gr soft points in a defensive rifle?

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
I purchased 1000 Speer 55gr Varmint for general practice and plinking, then got to wondering if it would work as a defensive round. I'm getting about 2750 fps out of a 12.5" IWI Zion pistol. Perhaps it won't hold together and fragment too much. What say the experts?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I've got some Speer Gold Dots in 75gr that are supposed to be optimized for duty use in short barrels. They make it in 55gr as well but personally I think the heavier bullet weights perform better for short barrels where you don't have as much velocity to really make the lighter bullets like 55gr do their thing. All in all this is min/maxing though and those 55gr will do what you're looking for just fine.

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
Depends how your barrel is rifled.

I was a firearms instructor for many years. My department's first batch of AR's, issued one per squad, to the sergeants, were rifled 1:9. I did a lot of testing, and in those,, the 55s shot best. Later, we equipped all officers with patrol rifles, but they were rifled 1:7. Same testing showed 64 gr. bullets were better in those. Since we had many more of those, and sergeants were less likely to deploy them, and since they were almost as accurate in the slow-twist guns, we standardized on the Winchester 64 gr. soft points. Just before I retired, Winchester became unavailable. After more testing, we went to Federal 64 gr. softpoints. Fortunately, we never had to use any of them on duty while I was there, but I can tell you, either of the 64 grain bullets will penetrate both shoulders of a south Alabama deer and keep on going. And both are accurate enough for head shots out to at least 100 yards when fired from my Yankee Hill 20" HBAR, 1:7 twist.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Wow, a soft point passed through both shoulders?
I'm shooting an IWI Zion 15 12.5" pistol with a 1/8 twist. I just returned from the range where I tested out 4 different loads. The short of it is that I have a couple solid, accurate loads that hang around the 2600-2800 fps range. I suppose I could try a Paul Harrel style meat target to see how the projectiles perform ;-)

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
The 64 grain in .223 is long for caliber, like a 140 grain in 6.5, or a 200 grain in .30 caliber. They even get full penetration on hogs of moderate size. The Winchesters, through my Mini-14, is my go-to swamp hog hunting combo.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Well then, I definitely want to play with some heavier projectiles. I know that this subject gets beat to death on every forum out there, but it's fascinating to me. So many variables. Ultimately though I want something that will stay where I place it and do some damage in the process.

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
I have a friend , that only uses a .223 for Deer hunting.
He has taken some Big Bucks!
This goes back over 20 years.
He does not shoot unless he has a Clean Neck Shot Only !
That’s Discipline & Shot placement.

Last edited:

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Depends how your barrel is rifled.

I was a firearms instructor for many years. My department's first batch of AR's, issued one per squad, to the sergeants, were rifled 1:9. I did a lot of testing, and in those,, the 55s shot best. Later, we equipped all officers with patrol rifles, but they were rifled 1:7. Same testing showed 64 gr. bullets were better in those. Since we had many more of those, and sergeants were less likely to deploy them, and since they were almost as accurate in the slow-twist guns, we standardized on the Winchester 64 gr. soft points. Just before I retired, Winchester became unavailable. After more testing, we went to Federal 64 gr. softpoints. Fortunately, we never had to use any of them on duty while I was there, but I can tell you, either of the 64 grain bullets will penetrate both shoulders of a south Alabama deer and keep on going. And both are accurate enough for head shots out to at least 100 yards when fired from my Yankee Hill 20" HBAR, 1:7 twist.
Glad you mentioned barrel twist, I had forgot to mention that as a factor earlier. Also good to hear you had good results on deer with those 64 grains as it gives me more confidence with my 75gr out of an 18" 1:7 twist barrel.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Still wondering about the efficacy of using a Speer 55gr soft point varmint round round in a defensive situation. Likely velocity is +/- 2700 fps. Will it break apart too much on impact?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Still wondering about the efficacy of using a Speer 55gr soft point varmint round round in a defensive situation. Likely velocity is +/- 2700 fps. Will it break apart too much on impact?
If my understanding is correct, fragmentation is actually desirable on the smaller weight bullets to help prevent overpenetration and to make a bigger wound vector. Not sure about soft points but for 55gr FMJs you want to get at least 3,000 FPS for reliable fragmentation to occur.

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
If my understanding is correct, fragmentation is actually desirable on the smaller weight bullets to help prevent overpenetration and to make a bigger wound vector. Not sure about soft points but for 55gr FMJs you want to get at least 3,000 FPS for reliable fragmentation to occur.
Not sure about needed FPS, fragmentation, Yes!

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
FMJ is unlikely to fragment at normal velocities. However, they will tumble, which is as good.

From a .223, 55 gr. softpoints may fragment at close range. The nosler Ballistic Tip 52 gr. varmint bullet is DESIGNED to fragment. Don't bother with the 40 gr. bullets designed for the .22 Hornet, in a fast twist barrel at high velocity.......they make a thin trail of "smoke", as they spin apart in mid-air.......