SOLD! Japanese Arisaka Type 99 WW2 Rifle For Sale. Birmingham. $125

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle from WW 2. It appears to be a trainer rifle and is chambered for blanks only. The trigger, bolt and receiver all have matching numbers. Wood is in rough condition and metal is in fair condition for this type of gun. The bolt works smoothly and the trigger fires, but there are some parts missing and it is not to be shot at any rate. This piece is more suited to be a wall hangar. Antique and collectible.

Last edited:

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
I looked it over carefully with a flashlight and I don’t see any markings on the receiver. The stock has 4 numbers on it on one side. The other side has 2 Japanese characters and someone etched their initials rather largely in the same area.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I have a sporterized Type 38 and took some pictures of my receiver markings to see if they may help:
20210420_182537.jpg
Here are the main markings on the top of the receiver. People will say the imperial mum is rare but it's really not as almost everybody interested in Arisakas either has one with it or knows about someone who does. The Japanese characters from top to bottom literally say 3 8 Type 20210420_182652.jpg
On the side of the receiver next to the serial number you should have some small characters like these. They may be hard to see because of the glare but there's a small symbol with three circles stacked on top of each other - this symbol tells you what arsenal the gun was made at and there are resources online to help identify them (http://www.castle-thunder.com/arsenal.htm) 20210420_182725.jpg 20210420_182759.jpg
Finally these last two markings on the rear of the receiver and the rear of the barrel are proof marks and will tell you if the receiver and barrel are matching.

Hope this helps and hope you find a buyer! If no one else is interested I might want the bolt and stock as I want to try to undo the sporterizing on mine one day.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
I looked again and there are zero markings. They have been worn smooth or were never there. Strange. I will try and post some pics of those same areas.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
I looked again and there are zero markings. They have been worn smooth or were never there. Strange. I will try and post some pics of those same areas.
After doing more research, I have a type 99. Yours has 2 vent holes in the barrel, mine has 1. Based on what I read that proves mine is a 99. Still no markings tho. And the barrel has no rifling in it, so this was obviously a trainer rifle using blanks only. That would also explain the lack of markings. What do you think? You obviously know more about these guns than I do.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Sounds plausible, could also be a "last ditch" rifle they made late in the war out of what they could scrape together. I thought that stock looked a little long for a 38 but as mine has been shortened it isn't really a good reference.