Somewhat new guy...

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
I've lurked and posted a handful of items, so I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Mike and we're up in the HSV area. We've been here about 5 years after moving from Oregon. I have a pretty broad firearms interest (Garand, AR, pistol, long range, competitive, hunting, etc.).

Looking forward to (and shooting with!) other enthusiasts in AL!

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Hi Mike
I like many different types of firearms as well, but I generally prefer anything that auto loads over anything that requires manual loading of rounds
(yes, I am just that lazy) ;)

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
Kenny,

I think I'm with you on preferring autoloaders ....though I don't mind a good bolt action for hunting and distance. I'd like to come down and visit the CMP range....looks pretty nice from your photos.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
The CMP is without a doubt the nicest range I have been to in a half dozen states. A couple of the range safety officers I have met there make the experience even better, top notch people. They are a little uptight until they see that you know how to handle your equipment, once they see you are not a problem, all is good.

And funny you mention a purpose for a bolt gun, I was just thinking I might pick up one to be able to get some exposure into other ranges in the area that allow non-members into competitions. I really don't 'compete' I just want to shoot and see if maybe I want to join another private range. All seem to have some competition that can be done with a bolt rifle. (going to start a new thread in the Rifle area)

Quick run down on the CMP
Check in at the front desk in the main building (can't miss it), Do not bring in any gear or guns with you
must have and hand over drivers license (they keep ti while you are on their range)
watch a short safety video
$12.50 an hour or $30 all day - your first time here 1 hour will probably be too short
Make sure you have Empty Chamber Indicators in all your weapons and make sure your weapons are in cases
go to the range that fits what you want to shoot
check in with range officer, show receipt
they give you a second quick safety brief, and then watch you shoot your first couple of rounds and can explain the target system
once you are in motion, have fun until your time is up

One thing I do not like about the electronic targets is the large black circle in the center of the target, there are no reference points to line your cross-hairs up on to help repeat finding dead center of the target. I believe I would have tighter groups if there were say a small white/red circle or something in the very center of the large black circle. I think the RO said the black center at the distance targets was 13", so that is a whole lot of area to lose cross-hairs in.

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
Yeah, that sounds like a really nice range. Since I’m in Huntsville, it’s a day trip for sure. I’d like to bring my 10yo son, do you know the age limits?

I have access to private property and can setup steel out to 1000. I like to confirm each rifle at known distances which I haven’t done for some of my newer guns or scope swaps.

Was the target 13” at 600? Or 1000? I agree it would be nice to have more precise reference marks for reproducibility.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
13" at 600 for sure, but the closer targets might have also had a center that large lol, they are large

private message me if you are thinking about heading out there, if I can get away, I will meet up with you. Its about a 50 minute drive for me.

Looks like Juniors are considered age 10-17 (fine fine print on bottom of page 1 here), so you should be fine.

Rayd8

Established Member
Army
Feb 11, 2019
Rocket City
That sounds like a good plan. I'll probably plan for a weekday trip as I expect it'll be less crowded. Boys have summer vacation coming up too....