Welcome to Alabama Gun Forum

Alabama Gun Forum is a place to buy, sell and talk firearms for free and privately. Not on facebook, locally owned!

• Alabama Gun Forum is a free, privately owned and supported community of gun owners. Alabama Gun Forum is free to join and free to use the marketplace. We are always working to improve the community. Please be aware of all forum rules and all gun regulations related to selling and buying firearms. Alabama Gun Forum is not responsible for transactions on this forum.
  • Start Here : Helpful information: 1. Forum Rules | 2. Introduction forum | 3. How to Post Images | 4. Firearm Classifieds

Starter set recommendations

Tator Man

Reaction score
Well it depends on who you speak with, its a matter of opinion. I bought a RCBS rockchucker kit along time ago and all RCBS dies and been loading ever since. Just read all you can and start with one caliber. You can always call me if you have questions. Tatorman 813.763.3697 I live in Greensboro Al. And have my own shooting range out to 125 yards. Steel targets and paper. Call me.

Joel6180

Reaction score
I did the same and Tator Man, got the RCBS rockchucker kit, and added stuff as I needed.

Reaction score
Well it depends on who you speak with, its a matter of opinion. I bought a RCBS rockchucker kit along time ago and all RCBS dies and been loading ever since. Just read all you can and start with one caliber. You can always call me if you have questions. Tatorman 813.763.3697 I live in Greensboro Al. And have my own shooting range out to 125 yards. Steel targets and paper. Call me.
Whoah, that's very, very kind of you. Thank you for the offer to help and visit your range. I live in downtown Birmingham so I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it out there but I will for sure take you up on the offer whenever I can.

Man, this community is the best.

GunForum

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of Good knowledge and the best people.

kenny1773

Reaction score
Ammo Prices and scarcity have me concerned. I have been wanting to reload for years, just never had the proper motivation I guess (until now)

Here is what I have started to collect. I want to reload 6.5CM to start, seems the most scarce

I wanted to be as cost conscious as I could, but I didn't want to buy complete crap

I got a used rock chucker

Hornady Custom Grade Die set

Frankford Arsenal powder trickler

This specific jewelry scale to weigh the powder (recommendation from a friend)

I also managed to find some Hornady 6.5CM 140gr HPBT bullets, got 200 of them (this is the same bullet they use in their American Gunner series 6.5CM)

Things I know I still need to get: (open to suggestions)
Something to remove primers
Media Tumbler to clean brass
priming tool
Deburring tool
Case Lube pad and lube

Do I need a case length sizer/trimmer? all my brass is fired once (I have been collecting it)

and the things I am on the hunt for that are hard to find
h4350 powder
primers

I have no need to get this up and running next week, but with politics the way they are, want this going sooner rather than later. After I get the 6.5 figured out, want to do 308 and then 9mm

Rumrunner

Reaction score
If one wanted to start reloading what brands/items do you recommend? Would like to start with 9mm.
They’ll all do the job for 9mm. I don’t own any Lee Precision but I know a couple guys who run their little 4 hole turret presses and love them. I use a Redding Big Boss II. I haven’t had bad luck with any manufacturer. If you’re looking for volume at least get a turret press. If you’re just curious then any single stage kit will get you in the game. Pick any color and have fun!

tbk5

Reaction score
Reloading supplies are pretty scarce these days too, especially primers. I got into it during the drought of 2012. One thing that helped me, I kept all my brass from commercial ammo that I shot. Starting with a single stage is a good idea. The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is a good way to go. You'll focus on each step and get it right. Plus, in the end, if you find reloading is not your thing, you are not in it for too much money.

tbk5

Reaction score
I agree, you'll need a trimmer for rifle cartridges. The brass stretches when fired. I haven't trimmed handgun brass. I honestly don't know if it needs it. I am less picky for handgun ammo and use a progressive press for speed. I am very precise reloading rifle cartridges. I like the LE Wilson trimmer. I am currently designing a "megismo" to let me use a power screwdriver to crank it. I work in batches and trimming 500 cases in a sitting can get tedious. Maybe someday I'll get a Giraud.

tbk5

Reaction score
Another simple and free item is clear plastic jars such as those that M&Ms from samsclub come in. I sort my brass by size and processing stage (dirty, clean-not processed, ready to load).