Starter set recommendations

Tired old man

Established Member
Jul 2, 2022
Near Birmingham
IF you want to learn how to load on a Dillon 1050 in volume, the price is a one on one interview over a cup of coffee. Provided we get along, and can make teaching appointments work, I am willing to teach the way of the Jedi. I have a fully equipped bench with several presses.

If you care to order pre-processed brass, I can easily show you how to load popular calibers on the Dillon in volume. (.380, .38 special/.357, 9mm, .40,.45. 223. .308) Want to load stuff off the beaten path-.32 S&W, .243. 7mm-08, 44 special. .280 Remintington, 7 MM Rem Mag, etc

Want to get into OCD methods of prepping .223 brass for match rounds? I have the press, dies and Giraud trimmer that are unemployed and crying to be exercised.

Please start with a simple PM stating your goals and background.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Here I am 2 years later and finally have reloaded about 50 bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor with the help of a friend.

I am not 100% running on my own, but I am very close. I bought more tools/gear than I ever expected, but my goal is match grade ammo with single digit SDs and that is a little harder to do than I first anticipated.

Hopefully I am done buying off the shelf 6.5 ammo at this point.

I am impressed with the results, 1/2 MOA or better at 100 yards, SD was 8 on a 5 shot group

I am using lapua SRP brass with Hornady ELD match 140gr bullets, H4350, cci small rifle magnum primers and lots of patience ;)

So far I have only loaded the new brass, will need to work into cleaning and case prep for all the once fired I have.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Here I am 2 years later and finally have reloaded about 50 bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor with the help of a friend.

I am not 100% running on my own, but I am very close. I bought more tools/gear than I ever expected, but my goal is match grade ammo with single digit SDs and that is a little harder to do than I first anticipated.

Hopefully I am done buying off the shelf 6.5 ammo at this point.

I am impressed with the results, 1/2 MOA or better at 100 yards, SD was 8 on a 5 shot group

I am using lapua SRP brass with Hornady ELD match 140gr bullets, H4350, cci small rifle magnum primers and lots of patience ;)

So far I have only loaded the new brass, will need to work into cleaning and case prep for all the once fired I have.
NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENENED. SEE MY NEXT POST. DELETE THIS IF POSSIBLE.

Last edited:

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Kenny,
I have the same setup, except for Peterson SR brass. Best groups are in the .2’s. My best 1000 yard 5 shot group has been 6”. I do not maintain 1/2 moa at 1250 yards. Not sure if it is the bullet or me.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am the reason my setup doesn't shoot better than 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yard lol

I have not shot the new load at 1000 yet, hope to get out that far in May.

From some experienced people I shoot with, they say the Hornady ELD Match bullet is not a great choice for 1000 yard groups, its the budget choice.

All of them suggest the Berger Hybrid 140 or 144 grain for the best long range groups.

I know I do not shoot well enough to spend the money on the Bergers, they are about twice the cost of ELDs when you can find them in stock.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
Kenny1773,
Shooting 1/2 MOA is not as easy, or common, as the internet would have you believe. I think the Hornady ELD-M tip is wearing down past 1000 yards. I completely agree the the 140 eld-m’s being a bargain. I will test a new bullet when I shoot out my current barrel. Let me know if you ever test past 1000.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am repeating what I hear other say, (I shoot with a couple experienced people) what I have heard about the ELD-M is from bullet to bullet they are not as uniform as the Bergers.

Meaning the bullets are not all the same shape (ogive isn't the same from bullet to bullet) and they also vary more in weight from bullet to bullet. I know no batch of bullets you buy are the exact same bullet to bullet, but from what I see the ELM-D has a much wider tolerance range than the berger. explains why the berger costs more.

Don't get the wrong idea, I am very happy with my 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. I just shoot with people that are 1/4 MOA at 100 yards ;)

I have setup a CZ457 MTR for long range and have been doing more practicing and training with it from 100 to 300 yards

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I am not sure I can consider my reloading gear 'starter set' at this time, but sort of getting the thread slightly back on topic, this is the list of equipment I ended up buying. As my friends that have been doing this a long time said, you don't want to re-buy gear because you went too cheap at the start.

list of reloading equipment I bought for long range. Some of this is optional, like the inline fabrication press mount, that is simply convenience.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
Inline Fabrication Quick change system press mount
CHARGEMASTER SUPREME ELECTRONIC POWDER DISPENSER
RCBS 32908 Matchmaster Full Length 6.5 Creedmoor full length bushing die set
RC81604 RCBS STEEL NECK DIE
L.E. Wilson Expanding Mandrel Die (.264, 6.5mm)
Universal Decapping Die
Hornady HK66 Lock-N-Load Headspace Gauge Kit with Body
Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set, Includes 7 Bullet Inserts
Hornady C1000 Lock-N-Load OAL Length Gauge
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand Deprimer Tool (note this needs modification to work with lapua srp brass)
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Impact Bullet Puller
RCBS Powder Funnel
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Vibratory Case Tumbler with media
Lyman 7777800 Case Prep Multi Tool
RCBS 90390 120-240 VAC Brass Boss Trim Mate Case Prep Center
CSWCMB181 LE Wilson Case Trimmer
Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 14 fl oz – Aerosol Dry Lube
LEE PRECISION 90197 Universal Press Shell Holder Set
RCBS 90201 Universal Hand Priming Tool
Hornady 480040 Universal Loading Tray
Digital Caliper Measuring Tool

I might have forgot a couple things, but I think that is most of it.
Then you add the brass, powder, primers and bullets
and
You also need a chrono to check bullet speeds

Then you need some information on where to start with how much powder to add for your bullet. I cheated here and my friend determined that part.

The process from here is where I start to get fuzzy, I will see what I can remember

Using the Hornady gauges to measure the rifle chamber and determine what OAL put me at .002 off the lands
making sure my AICS mags could handle that OAL (yes in my case)

Set the bullet seating die to get the correct OAL

Use L.E. Wilson Expanding Mandrel Die and made sure all the necks were uniform

use the hand prime tool to set primers in the brass

Measure powder (amount was determined with 30ish test bullets, 3 each incremented in .2 grain increments and shot over chrono for speed and group size)

Put correctly measured powder into brass
Put brass with powder into press with bullet seating die, load bullet, press in the bullet

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
All that is missing is photos of your targets comparing commercial ammo with your custom ammo. My groups went from 3in to >1/2in testing at @100m.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Here are some targets with the FGMM 140gr SMKs that I have been shooting for a while now. Always under 1 MOA at 100 yards. Even if I go out to a 10 shot group (couldn't locate that pic) I can still keep it under 1 MOA @ 100

1681435174719.png

1681435218740.png

I think these did very well for factory ammo.

My reloading day ran late, did not take any pics of the targets, but there will be more opportunities in the near future.

I hope that lowering my groups to 1/2 MOA at 100 will give me a little better control at 1000.
I know 1 thing 100% having my SD being in single digits will help the 1000 yard shots more than anything. With the FGMM I had a lot of shots either go over or under the target at 1000. The SD on those was high

bltemple

Established Member
Apr 4, 2023
Birmingham
I have a love hate relationship with my lee loadmaster. Although it is a progressive I no longer prime on it , but can produce really good ammo at a steady pace.
I also have a RCBS rebel which I use on occasion. I will say this if you like reloading it can be as fun as shooting. Unfortunately primers have consistently been an issue and now they are pretty expensive.

Last edited:

rkflorey

Established Member
Jul 28, 2023
AL
Start out with the lee 4 hole turret. I have had one for fifteen years with no trouble at all. The single stage keeps you on task and the reloads are excellent.
You can upgrade to a progressive press and load bulk after you get more confident.
FYI you will not save any money reloading...you will just shoot three times as much for the same money.
I always felt it was relaxing And a good way to unwind.