Starter set recommendations

SnowflakeGunAddict

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
Birmingham
If one wanted to start reloading what brands/items do you recommend? Would like to start with 9mm.

Tator Man

Established Member
Jun 10, 2018
Greensboro Al.
Well it depends on who you speak with, its a matter of opinion. I bought a RCBS rockchucker kit along time ago and all RCBS dies and been loading ever since. Just read all you can and start with one caliber. You can always call me if you have questions. Tatorman 813.763.3697 I live in Greensboro Al. And have my own shooting range out to 125 yards. Steel targets and paper. Call me.

SnowflakeGunAddict

Established Member
Nov 30, 2020
Birmingham
Well it depends on who you speak with, its a matter of opinion. I bought a RCBS rockchucker kit along time ago and all RCBS dies and been loading ever since. Just read all you can and start with one caliber. You can always call me if you have questions. Tatorman 813.763.3697 I live in Greensboro Al. And have my own shooting range out to 125 yards. Steel targets and paper. Call me.
Whoah, that's very, very kind of you. Thank you for the offer to help and visit your range. I live in downtown Birmingham so I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it out there but I will for sure take you up on the offer whenever I can.

Man, this community is the best.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Ammo Prices and scarcity have me concerned. I have been wanting to reload for years, just never had the proper motivation I guess (until now)

Here is what I have started to collect. I want to reload 6.5CM to start, seems the most scarce

I wanted to be as cost conscious as I could, but I didn't want to buy complete crap

I got a used rock chucker

Hornady Custom Grade Die set

Frankford Arsenal powder trickler

This specific jewelry scale to weigh the powder (recommendation from a friend)

I also managed to find some Hornady 6.5CM 140gr HPBT bullets, got 200 of them (this is the same bullet they use in their American Gunner series 6.5CM)

Things I know I still need to get: (open to suggestions)
Something to remove primers
Media Tumbler to clean brass
priming tool
Deburring tool
Case Lube pad and lube

Do I need a case length sizer/trimmer? all my brass is fired once (I have been collecting it)

and the things I am on the hunt for that are hard to find
h4350 powder
primers

I have no need to get this up and running next week, but with politics the way they are, want this going sooner rather than later. After I get the 6.5 figured out, want to do 308 and then 9mm

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
If one wanted to start reloading what brands/items do you recommend? Would like to start with 9mm.
They’ll all do the job for 9mm. I don’t own any Lee Precision but I know a couple guys who run their little 4 hole turret presses and love them. I use a Redding Big Boss II. I haven’t had bad luck with any manufacturer. If you’re looking for volume at least get a turret press. If you’re just curious then any single stage kit will get you in the game. Pick any color and have fun!

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Reloading supplies are pretty scarce these days too, especially primers. I got into it during the drought of 2012. One thing that helped me, I kept all my brass from commercial ammo that I shot. Starting with a single stage is a good idea. The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is a good way to go. You'll focus on each step and get it right. Plus, in the end, if you find reloading is not your thing, you are not in it for too much money.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I agree, you'll need a trimmer for rifle cartridges. The brass stretches when fired. I haven't trimmed handgun brass. I honestly don't know if it needs it. I am less picky for handgun ammo and use a progressive press for speed. I am very precise reloading rifle cartridges. I like the LE Wilson trimmer. I am currently designing a "megismo" to let me use a power screwdriver to crank it. I work in batches and trimming 500 cases in a sitting can get tedious. Maybe someday I'll get a Giraud.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Another simple and free item is clear plastic jars such as those that M&Ms from samsclub come in. I sort my brass by size and processing stage (dirty, clean-not processed, ready to load).

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
What he said.
Reloading supplies are pretty scarce these days too, especially primers. I got into it during the drought of 2012. One thing that helped me, I kept all my brass from commercial ammo that I shot. Starting with a single stage is a good idea. The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is a good way to go. You'll focus on each step and get it right. Plus, in the end, if you find reloading is not your thing, you are not in it for too much money.
If you decide you like it, if supplies once again become plentiful and you opt for a progressive setup, then by all means, dive in - but jumping in full tilt right off isn't necessarily the best option.

I was 'schooled' about handloading back in the 90's. I was fortunate enough to have someone show me the ropes and I had to invest $0, just time. I got to decide I liked it w/out a cash investment.
One of the greatest joys of handloading is a custom tuned load for a specific rifle. It is amazing how much better the same shooter can shoot with "proper" loads vs. mass produced factory ammo...

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
The best thing is to get an experienced reloader as a mentor. There are also some good books. The Lyman 50th edition reloading manual is considered a gold standard. Buy it. Read it and then you will know what questions to ask next. It goes over all the basics of reloading. I think it is a good manual because it includes lots of dimensional data (i.e., trim-to length, etc). They also have cast bullet information and include a lot of bullet types (other just list their own components). Eventually you'll add books from other manufacturers. Lot's of load data is available online too.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Once supplies become available (and covid conditions improve), we could try to organize some training sessions. I took a couple classes early in my reloading adventure. They helped. And like the book mentioned above, they gave me the background knowledge needed to ask the right questions and how to find the answers.

A S Parker

Established Member
Nov 8, 2020
North Alabama
I just want to toss some ideas out in this forum.

I started with a single stage press. I still have it. I use it for building low SD rifle ammo. However, when I first started reloading it was for pistol exclusively. I think I would have been better served with a turret style press. If you have a mentor close by, I would jump straight into a progressive setup. There are a lot of variables in reloading. Just remember to be safe and organized. Make sure you take good notes. Below I have listed a few thing that I would recommend not skimping on.

Reloading Manual
Calipers
Powder Scale
Powder Measure

Send me a message if you have any specific questions. I will try my best to help.

Last edited:

usedjean56

Established Member
Dec 25, 2021
I’ve used Dillon reloaded s for over 30 years, I’ve send presses and case feeder back over the years, they have always stood behind their equipment. And have replaced numerous warn/broken pieces free of charge. I ve also lived in three different states. I strongly recommend them.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
I have several single stage presses, and brass tumblers. Can at least get you started. . I live toward oak grove. I would start on a single stage, and read all the manuals I could get my hands on. Been loading and casting for around 30 years, but Im still learning. I am partial to Lee and Hornady systems. I have a lot of 6.5 brass but its a caliber I dont load for, so no need for it. Feel free to send me a PM if you need a hand.