Taurus revolvers? Any hands on opinions?

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
So, I'm thinking about a spare wheelgun and not wanting to spend big. With the current state of gun buying that leaves VERY little options.
While I would prefer to go S&W, I am currently eyeing a couple of J-frame size options from Taurus.

I searched the forum a little and didn't see much discussion/debate. I did see some mention of "significant other's..." so I am pretty sure there are some folks that have hands on time with these.

I can't see spending five hundred or there about on a Charter if a Taurus is the same or less money. I can't find a used anything under 6-7 around here.
I know in "normal" times the Taurus is a 3-350 thing, so when I say "is it worth it" I know better, but I know the current state of the market also. The point is, are they worth having in the opinions of people that have used them in the "real world"?

Thanks in advance!

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
Not sure what you are looking for. I have a Taurus 850 CIA ( means carry it anywhere, kind of corny) rated for 38 special + p. Snubnose 2 inch barrel. All steel, not the lightweight aluminum frame. Hammerless, so it is double action only. I have never shot it, it was my sister’s and I acquired it when she died. Have the original box. She only shot it on a couple of occasions, probably put less than 100 rounds thru it.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Not sure what you are looking for. I have a Taurus 850 CIA ( means carry it anywhere, kind of corny) rated for 38 special + p. Snubnose 2 inch barrel. All steel, not the lightweight aluminum frame. Hammerless, so it is double action only. I have never shot it, it was my sister’s and I acquired it when she died. Have the original box. She only shot it on a couple of occasions, probably put less than 100 rounds thru it.
Feel free to post it for sale unless it’s sentimental.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
@Lesau I don't know if you are looking to sell. I am not sure - yet - if I am looking to buy a Taurus revolver. My post was primarily fishing for intel on them.
That said, if you do end up wanting to sell, please let me know. I know Taurus sells a metric butt ton of the things, so they must not be bad.

WA55

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
Troy, Al
I love my 605 ss. I keep it loaded with critical defense but keep a speed loader with heavy rat shot and hollow points for snakes. Shoots great.

Lesau

Established Member
Oct 11, 2018
Birmingham
@Lesau I don't know if you are looking to sell. I am not sure - yet - if I am looking to buy a Taurus revolver. My post was primarily fishing for intel on them.
That said, if you do end up wanting to sell, please let me know. I know Taurus sells a metric butt ton of the things, so they must not be bad.
I would consider selling it. It is a nice gun. It looks almost new. I don’t have any other experience with Taurus pistols.

Ghostman153

Established Member
Dec 23, 2020
Enterprise
So, I'm thinking about a spare wheelgun and not wanting to spend big. With the current state of gun buying that leaves VERY little options.
While I would prefer to go S&W, I am currently eyeing a couple of J-frame size options from Taurus.

I searched the forum a little and didn't see much discussion/debate. I did see some mention of "significant other's..." so I am pretty sure there are some folks that have hands on time with these.

I can't see spending five hundred or there about on a Charter if a Taurus is the same or less money. I can't find a used anything under 6-7 around here.
I know in "normal" times the Taurus is a 3-350 thing, so when I say "is it worth it" I know better, but I know the current state of the market also. The point is, are they worth having in the opinions of people that have used them in the "real world"?

Thanks in advance!
I have the raging bull 2” 44mag. Kicks like a mule, but it’s been reliable. Buying Taurus is a good way for simple self defense without breaking the bank.

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
Nothing wrong with a Taurus revolver, I’ve got several, and Rossi’s too. Very well made revolvers. I own Colts, S&Ws, Rugers, and I can tell you that I wouldn’t let a deal pass me by on any Taurus or Rossi revolver, good pistols !

rsdavis

Established Member
Jan 27, 2021
Roanoke
I borrowed one of the new model 942 in 22lr awhile back to see if I wanted one for my self. It shot great I liked it a lot. But I hesitated and now they are gone. Can’t find one anywhere. I mistakenly thought there would always be plenty Taurus revolvers to be had.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
Everyone - thank you for the input. I got waylaid for a little bit.
Between everyone's input and additional research I think I will end up getting one.
@Lesau Thank you for keeping me in mind, but I think I am leaning towards the "mid size" options and not looking to buy a compact/concealment version for my project.