That's it for me and Classic Firearms.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
Knowing that grading is somewhat subjective, I've always been lenient on the cosmetic and barrel condition of a surplus/used gun as long as it functioned correctly.

I've also learned, that when a seller lists the condition across two grades, to expect that I'll receive something on the lower end of the scale. If I'm OK with that, I'll place an order. For example, if the gun is listed as Good to Very Good, and I get Good, I'm OK. If I get better than Good, I'm very pleased.

Up until now, this attitude has served me well when dealing with Classic Firearms. They have consistently sent me items on the low end of their advertised grade scale (they use the NRA scale). I would always take this into consideration when ordering and if I still wanted the item, I knew what to expect.

I say up until now, because I just got through dealing with them over returning a gun that was unsafe to fire. I bought a surplus police revolver listed in Good-Very Good condition. The cosmetic condition of the gun I received was definitely on the low end of Good. That part was OK, because like I said, I knew what to expect from them.

The problem is that the barrel and cylinder were out of alignment. You could tell that something was wrong because of the play in the cylinder and also by looking at the alignment of the flutes in the cylinder when looking down at the top strap. I took it to a gunsmith and he said that misalignment was so bad that he wouldn't fire the gun and he advised me not to.

To make along story short, after a multi-email exchange, Classic Firearms said I could return the gun. So far so good, but after they received it they said it was in "working/operable" condition and would not give me a full refund. I never expected them to pay for the FFL transfer fee, but I'm also out shipping both ways and a restock fee. So, I've had enough, that's it for me and Classic Firearms.

I hope they don't turn around and sell it to someone else.

Edit: My post is in reference to Classic Firearms located in Indian Trail, NC.

Last edited:

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
Sorry to hear of your trouble with them. Unfortunately I have read many similar stories on other forums. There are guns that they have advertised that I was interested in but I stayed away because of their reputation.

packtray

Established Member
Jul 4, 2017
Alabama
Sweaty Ben's been taking suckers for a ride for a while now. They buy from importers like Uli and pass the costs on to you. The only thing that's been a value in the past couple of years was the Ethiopian Mausers that they simply didn't know enough about to price correctly in the beginning.

I swear, they've said "THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE'LL EVER HAVE THESE" every item they've ever sold.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I follow them on Facebook but would never purchase from them, they are on the pricey side of what I look at even though I am not into surplus I can see how this is terrible.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
Sweaty Ben's been taking suckers for a ride for a while now. They buy from importers like Uli and pass the costs on to you. The only thing that's been a value in the past couple of years was the Ethiopian Mausers that they simply didn't know enough about to price correctly in the beginning.

I swear, they've said "THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE'LL EVER HAVE THESE" every item they've ever sold.

I don't know their history/backstory. Who does Sweaty Ben refer to?

I knew from my own experience that they over-graded, but if I really wanted something and couldn't find it anywhere else and still decided to buy it, well, I new what I was getting into.

I draw the line at them selling unsafe guns and then proving that their return policy is another big exaggeration on their part.

octal

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Pelham
I follow them on Facebook but would never purchase from them, they are on the pricey side of what I look at even though I am not into surplus I can see how this is terrible.

Price aside, if you are ever tempted to buy a surplus or used gun from them, don't.

One trick they pull is to sell things under a broad condition range, for example, they commonly list stuff under a "Good to Very Good" grade range. If you buy, there's a good chance you'll end up with something at the low end of "Good" that you paid a "Very Good" price for. And if it's unsafe, well, that's just too bad. You either keep a gun you can't use, or lose money after dealing with their customer "service" department.

packtray

Established Member
Jul 4, 2017
Alabama
I don't know their history/backstory. Who does Sweaty Ben refer to?

I knew from my own experience that they over-graded, but if I really wanted something and couldn't find it anywhere else and still decided to buy it, well, I new what I was getting into.

I draw the line at them selling unsafe guns and then proving that their return policy is another big exaggeration on their part.
Sweaty Ben is the owner of Classic (or at least was). He was the guy in their early YouTube videos where he'd cover a product. It must have been hot in the warehouse, because he was always covered in sweat in every video.

These days he's got two first-termer chapter cases doing the videos.

FullySemiAutomaticAR14

Established Member
Apr 14, 2021
Red Level, AL
Classic firearms are pretty good when it comes to buying mags and ammo from but when it comes to guns they are sh*t and dont take care when shipping them, ive ordered 3 form them in the past and they always come banged around, cosmetic blemishes on NEW firearms, boxes not packed right, just bad customer service too
10/10 do not recommend buying guns from them