The bump stock ban

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

On December 18, 2018, Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker announced that the Department of Justice has amended the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of “machinegun” under federal law, as such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

The Final Rule
The rule will go into effect March 26, 2019; 90 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

Personally I don't see the appeal of the bump stock much past a novelty that I would grow tired of in a couple days, but I do 100% understand why people have fun shooting them and own them.

This ban is completely unconstitutional, and I think Trump knew that signing it, meaning he knew it would be repealed, it was just something to toss the anti gun folks to distract them for a bit. As the deadline nears, I hope it gets repealed. GOA filed suit

https://gunowners.org/gun-owners-of-america-to-file-suit-against-atf-bump-stock-ban/

The definition of a machine gun is pretty clear, more than one shot fired with one press of the trigger, 'bumping' is multiple presses of the trigger and requires the shooter to put forward pressure on the rifle to keep the trigger pulls coming.

I don't want or expect anyone to post up here if they own one of these or not, but the general consensus I get from owners is they are not going to comply with this nonsense.

Q: Do you have a bump stock?
A: I am sorry I lost it in a horrible canoeing accident

IMO The bump stock is not a machine gun, many people shoot just as fast with good trigger control or 'bumping' without the special stock freehand.

How do you feel about it?

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I do not own one but I do think they would be fun. Its sad to see that restrictions on anything firearm related is upon us.

Duchunter75

Established Member
Mar 31, 2019
Mobile
It’s kind of jacked up that the government can arbitrarily decide that something you purchased legally is now illegal and you must turn it in or destroy it and without compensation. Whats to say that they won’t decide all firearms are illegal and you must turn them in or destroy them? This bump stock ban is just a trial run for across the board gun confiscation. It sets a president that the government can do something like this and get away with it. It’s a very slippery slope!