Waterproof poncho, any reccomended?

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Sadly my early 80s surplus poncho has passed on. I looking for a replacement the old one was rubber coated rip stop most likely of the Vietnam war era. Hopefully someone has experience with one that is similar and currently available. The variety available online is near over whelming, all with mixed reviews.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Honestly I'd suggest just getting another milsurp poncho assuming you liked your old one, it'll be a better value than anything else really. If you can't find a US made one for a good price any NATO country's poncho will be basically the same thing except it might be a different color.

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Honestly I'd suggest just getting another milsurp poncho assuming you liked your old one, it'll be a better value than anything else really. If you can't find a US made one for a good price any NATO country's poncho will be basically the same thing except it might be a different color.
Sadly they are very hard to find, most are reproductions, that are much smaller. The foreign one seem to be much heavier, hoping to find a rubber coated rip stop that weighs less than 2 pounds

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Hopefully so. Hope you're not also in the market for a woobie, those have gone up to $50-$60 for a repro! I did get lucky and find a surplus one in MARPAT for $32 a week or two ago.

Reactions: Trs

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Hopefully so. Hope you're not also in the market for a woobie, those have gone up to $50-$60 for a repro! I did get lucky and find a surplus one in MARPAT for $32 a week or two ago.
Mine are fine, Luckily I bought several when they were still cheap

Trs

Established Member
Jun 5, 2021
Albany, Ga
Yeah!! Poncho found, for anyone else looking here is some additional information to help in searches
Nsn 8406-01-547-2555, the one I got was made by ORC industries. Looks to be the same as my old except the snaps are synthetic not metal.