What do you do? Profession?

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
I’m deff trying my best to get more people talking.

On the other hand, I started my new job today. I think it will work out.
It’ll pick up in time. Just keep pushing it. How’s the job?

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Congrats on the new job!

I was forced to job hunt about 3 years ago, it was horrible. I am not a big fan of how it all works these days. Resumes are scanned for key words, no match, no interview.

The game is still more about who you know than what you know. All the good jobs are generally taken by friends of the people that already work at a place. Only post to the public when that well runs dry ;)

Alan Yates

aryfrosty
Dec 13, 2017
Huntsville
I served four years, four months and fourteen days in the Navy. Four Westpac cruises and one combat tour in Korea when the Pueblo was captured. Recovered the Apollo 8 capsule and astronauts in Dec 1968. Got out in 71... Was a cop for 25 years in Georgia and an EMT Instructor for 14 of the same years.... Retired and was a driver trainer for Brinks Armored for 3 years, Atlanta, Chattanooga and Boston. I Went to the New Hampshire Dept of Safety and was an E911 supervisor for 9 years. Retired there in 09 after I had a stroke, and when my wife retired in 2011 we moved to Huntsville where we have family. We actually got married in Huntsville many years ago... I sit on the porch and watch for my retirement checks to hit the mailbox. I collect a few guns and knives, and to occupy my time and have fun I'm one of the admins on three Facebook pages. Guns and Shared Gun Knowledge, Alabama Patriots, and Trumps Deplorables.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
Congrats on the new job!

I was forced to job hunt about 3 years ago, it was horrible. I am not a big fan of how it all works these days. Resumes are scanned for key words, no match, no interview.

The game is still more about who you know than what you know. All the good jobs are generally taken by friends of the people that already work at a place. Only post to the public when that well runs dry ;)

Ya I do not like to job hunt, but I got a pretty good job but its early for me and We will see how it works out. I do have to be at the top coming in to a place. But I want the option to move up.

I served four years, four months and fourteen days in the Navy. Four Westpac cruises and one combat tour in Korea when the Pueblo was captured. Recovered the Apollo 8 capsule and astronauts in Dec 1968. Got out in 71... Was a cop for 25 years in Georgia and an EMT Instructor for 14 of the same years.... Retired and was a driver trainer for Brinks Armored for 3 years, Atlanta, Chattanooga and Boston. I Went to the New Hampshire Dept of Safety and was an E911 supervisor for 9 years. Retired there in 09 after I had a stroke, and when my wife retired in 2011 we moved to Huntsville where we have family. We actually got married in Huntsville many years ago... I sit on the porch and watch for my retirement checks to hit the mailbox. I collect a few guns and knives, and to occupy my time and have fun I'm one of the admins on three Facebook pages. Guns and Shared Gun Knowledge, Alabama Patriots, and Trumps Deplorables.

Pretty Impressive resume. Hopefully the groups dont get closed, I keep seeing more and more getting closed from facebook.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
A little more about me. I joined the Army when I was 18 and served in several duty stations in the US, Ft Jackson SC, Ft Belvoir VA, Camp A P Hill, VA, Fort Ord CA, Hunter Leggett Military Reservation, CA, Camp Richmond Korea and Fort Benning GA. Then worked for a couple of trucking companies after military. Took a civil service job and worked as a police officer for 8 1/2 years. Did part time work while there driving an amored truck, worked part with a US Marshall friend of mine as a special deputy US Marshall transporting federal prisoners from other states. Left the police department and spent the next 30 years at the steel mill working my way from the bottom to the top of my work section. Now I just wait on the retirement checks and hunt whitetail deer at every opportunity.

Last edited:

Rumrunner

Established Member
Jul 16, 2018
Athens
A little more about me. I joined the Army when I was 18 and served in several duty stations in the US, Ft Jackson SC, Ft Belvoir VA, Camp A P Hill, VA, Fort Ord CA, Hunter Leggett Military Reservation, CA, Camp Richmond Korea and Fort Benning GA. Then worked for a couple of trucking companies after military. Took a civil service job and worked as a police officer for 8 1/2 years. Did part time work while there driving an amored truck, worked part with a US Marshall friend of mine as a special deputy US Marshall transporting federal prisoners from other states. Left the police department and spent the next 30 years at the steel mill working my way from the bottom to the top of my work section. Now I just wait on the retirement checks and hunt whitetail deer at every opportunity.
Did you have any trouble transitioning from government (L.E.) to your job in the private sector (the mill)?

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
Did you have any trouble transitioning from government (L.E.) to your job in the private sector (the mill)?
I missed being in LE for many years after leaving that job, but the pay in the mill job was much greater and after it was all over, I'm glad that I changed positions as the retirement pay was also a lot better.

Almtnman

Established Member
Army
Dec 13, 2018
Northeast Alabama
I missed being in LE for many years after leaving that job, but the pay in the mill job was much greater and after it was all over, I'm glad that I changed positions as the retirement pay was also a lot better.

TennJeep1618

Established Member
Sep 11, 2017
Fairhope
I work in the sawmill industry. I have some sort of a title, but I can never remember what it is. My main job right now includes managing a bunch of computers and other equipment that grades lumber, but that role is going to expand within the next year.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
I work in the sawmill industry. I have some sort of a title, but I can never remember what it is. My main job right now includes managing a bunch of computers and other equipment that grades lumber, but that role is going to expand within the next year.
Good to see you back on the forum, missed you for a few days.

I’m in training and so far I like what I’ve seen. The owner is nice. Pay is decent, company truck. So not a bad place to get on at.

Wiregrassguy

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Ashford
I'm retired 11 years now from the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations in Atlanta after 36 years in Navy and commercial electric nuclear power generation. Living in the southern ranch house my parents built in 1960. Enjoying life and accumulating S&W handguns.