What kinds of Whisk(e)y you fellas drink?

Tumbleweed

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Alabama
I’m a bourbon - scotch man. WT101 and Larceny are my go to bourbons now that I can’t find Buffalo Trace or Weller very easily. Scotch’s are Ardbeg and Talisker. Ardbeg is an absolute peat bomb. Love it.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I’ll confess that I’m largely ignorant to the ways of whiskey haha. I will toss back a shot of good, old Jack Daniels from time to time. Their “Tennessee Fire” variety is (not to sound too much like a commercial here) intensely refreshing. :)

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Being an adult beverage professional I tend to support my own brands, but there are so many good whiskies available in the state that I don't limit myself. In no particular order...Old Forester 1897 (bonded) and 1910 (double barreled), Woodford Reserve (malted, double oak, etc), Nelsons Greenbriar Distillery Tennessee, Old Grand Dad and Hellcat Maggie Irish (my go-to cheap whiskies. Hellcat is especially good), Jameson, Henry McKenna 10 year,

Ok, I'll stop now

Ed Jennings

Established Member
Jul 6, 2020
Pleasant Grove AL
I used to be a bourbon drinker, then went through a Bacardi phase. Now, in my old age my go to is Canadian Club. It has just a tiny bit of bite to it, which I like. If I were drinking it straight, I might opt for Crown Royal. But, I don’t. I mix with a whiff of Coke. If Canadian Club and Crown were the same price, I’d still go to the CC.

Nate762

Established Member
Dec 4, 2021
Muscle Shoals
Canadian Club. Growing up that's what my dad and his friend drank sitting around around the table after work watching hockey talking politics.....the good old days...

bobbyakins

Established Member
Jan 5, 2022
Odenville,Al
I guess my go to is crown but I don't hit it very often.Sometimes I get a wild hair and mix a rum or vodka snifter,more heavy with the liquor than the mix.

madmyk

Established Member
Jan 11, 2021
Tuscaloosa, AL
Was Weller 107 for many years, then people found out about it and it became hard to find and harder to afford. I used to pick it up for about $26/750ml (hand serial numbered bottles back then), would get a case a year. Last time I saw it in a shop they wanted $250, I didn't want it that bad.
I prefer wheated bourbons over most everything else. As there are so few and those are hard to find, I have branched out a bit.
All of that said, I drink so little anymore it takes a couple of years to burn through a bottle so the "collection" keeps growing. :)

Zap_Rowsdower

Established Member
Apr 8, 2020
Madison
Was Weller 107 for many years, then people found out about it and it became hard to find and harder to afford. I used to pick it up for about $26/750ml (hand serial numbered bottles back then), would get a case a year. Last time I saw it in a shop they wanted $250, I didn't want it that bad.
I prefer wheated bourbons over most everything else. As there are so few and those are hard to find, I have branched out a bit.
All of that said, I drink so little anymore it takes a couple of years to burn through a bottle so the "collection" keeps growing. :)
Managed to grab a bottle of Antique 107 at an ABC allocation sale. Far cry from the $26 but a far cry for the $250, as well. I enjoy the wheated bourbons but a real treat I have found is Dettling Cask Strength Single Barrel from Big Escambia Spirits. It has some flavors I haven't found in other bourbons and being a field to bottle Alabama whisk(e)y makes it a bit more enjoyable for me.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
These are what we try to keep stocked;
Blantons Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey
- classic and good

Coopers Craft Reserve 100 Proof
- interesting barrel treatment makes it a little hotter without making it harsh

Fiddler Georgia Heartwood
- smooth spirit from Georgia

High West Bourye
- nice blend of bourbon and rye

High West Campfire
- just right on the smoke

High West Midwinters Nights Dram
- the most expensive and hardest to find, but I never pass up a chance to get a bottle. It's horrible though and if anyone ever sees one on the shelf they should call me so I can dispose of it properly.

Irons One
- Huntsville whiskey, worth a stop by Lowe Mill distillery if you have the time

John Emerald Purveyors Series Doublewood (pecan rye)
- got to sample this one at Bourbonham. Another 'Bama juice, definitely go to their location in Opelika

Noah's Mill and Rowans Creek
- Whiskey cousins, good in an old fashioned

Stagg Jr
- smooth with hint of chocolate and leather

Uncle Nearest 1856 100 Proof
- you know how Mexican Coca-Cola is better than corn Coca-Cola? This is like that for Jack Daniel's.

Old Grandad 114
- good straight, even better with honey, lemon juice and heated up when you have a cold

Weller Special Reserve
- just as good as Pappy (not counting Family Reserve), cheaper and easier to find

Rittenhouse Rye
- favorite rye, great in an old fashioned, priced very well

Connemara Peated Single Malt
- inexpensive but hard to find in cask strength

Silkie Irish Whiskey
- smoothest peated I've had so far

Flor de Cana 18 year Rum
- makes a great rum old fashioned especially using agave instead of sugar (probably not really an old fashioned at that point but I don't know what else to call it)

Elizabeth Vodka
- a John Emerald product, slightly sweet

Redmont Vulcan Gin
- Birmingham product, great with Milo's lemonade

Our favorite store is Lenell's in Norwood. She and her people know more about the creature than most anyone I've ever met. If you're local to Birmingham and aren't visiting regularly, you are missing out.

Zap_Rowsdower

Established Member
Apr 8, 2020
Madison
These are what we try to keep stocked;
Blantons Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey
- classic and good

Coopers Craft Reserve 100 Proof
- interesting barrel treatment makes it a little hotter without making it harsh

Fiddler Georgia Heartwood
- smooth spirit from Georgia

High West Bourye
- nice blend of bourbon and rye

High West Campfire
- just right on the smoke

High West Midwinters Nights Dram
- the most expensive and hardest to find, but I never pass up a chance to get a bottle. It's horrible though and if anyone ever sees one on the shelf they should call me so I can dispose of it properly.

Irons One
- Huntsville whiskey, worth a stop by Lowe Mill distillery if you have the time

John Emerald Purveyors Series Doublewood (pecan rye)
- got to sample this one at Bourbonham. Another 'Bama juice, definitely go to their location in Opelika

Noah's Mill and Rowans Creek
- Whiskey cousins, good in an old fashioned

Stagg Jr
- smooth with hint of chocolate and leather

Uncle Nearest 1856 100 Proof
- you know how Mexican Coca-Cola is better than corn Coca-Cola? This is like that for Jack Daniel's.

Old Grandad 114
- good straight, even better with honey, lemon juice and heated up when you have a cold

Weller Special Reserve
- just as good as Pappy (not counting Family Reserve), cheaper and easier to find

Rittenhouse Rye
- favorite rye, great in an old fashioned, priced very well

Connemara Peated Single Malt
- inexpensive but hard to find in cask strength

Silkie Irish Whiskey
- smoothest peated I've had so far

Flor de Cana 18 year Rum
- makes a great rum old fashioned especially using agave instead of sugar (probably not really an old fashioned at that point but I don't know what else to call it)

Elizabeth Vodka
- a John Emerald product, slightly sweet

Redmont Vulcan Gin
- Birmingham product, great with Milo's lemonade

Our favorite store is Lenell's in Norwood. She and her people know more about the creature than most anyone I've ever met. If you're local to Birmingham and aren't visiting regularly, you are missing out.
Managed to grab a bottle of Stagg Jr at the last allocated sale. I need to find another bottle so I know I have a backup due to "Jr" going away.

Blaznhale72

Jan 31, 2022
Harvest
My Brother lives in the heart of Bourbon country, so I get to try it a lot. Four Roses Single Barrel is a good bet. Chattanooga Whiskey is good… Buffalo Trace, if you can find it…and if you can find it Big Horn, or anything from Willie’s Distillery Montana…

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I prefer Islay scotches: Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Laphroaig.

I am trying bourbons. It is so hard to find good brands here. I usually stock up when I visit family up north. Thanks for the tip on Lenell's. I'll have to check it out.