hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
It’s fairly simple to run 300 and in, day/night. It’s not too much more involved to poke to 500, in the day. Past 300 at night, IR and Thermal that can resolve between a calf and a coyote past 300, without some behavior hints, is a lot of $. I don‘t run a coyote rig that I expect to go past 300 much with, and my night rig will reach that far, but inside 200, is more typical at night for positive ID and resolution. AR built around a 20” 223 Wylde JP super match barrel and VXR 3-9 (for now) is day gun. Night gun is also a day deer/hog gun. Its built around an ARP 6.8 barrel, with a Trijicon accupoint 1-4 that has a Wilcox Mount for a UTM thermal to be clipped in front. I generally get to hunt some other states where it’s legal (without special permit) to hog and coyote hunt at night. Ive only killed 28 this past year, but I don’t have as much time to chase and call anymore.

hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
Well, at night it’s often more akin to spot and stalk like you’d do out west, but on a smaller scale. I move, glass from vantage points, move again. Find something, and ID it, move to where I can, shoot. Stuff is concealed, day or night, and you have to move or wait for them to move, to clear for ID, stalking, and shooting. That’s just how I typically do it. You can stand hunt a vantage point, just like deer, but you can move at night on coyotes....just pretend they could see you, if they looked hard. Bright moon nights, they’ll see you moving 200 yards away, if they’re looking your way.

hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
So, it’s too thick to see them past a couple hundred yards, you can’t walk, you already have some NV, you don’t hunt, and you don’t have any coyotes....but you want to know how to see them past 500 yards, shoot them to 500 yards, from your bedroom window, IF you decide to take up hunting coyotes, whenever they might show up again? ;)

LOL. I was attempting to help, based on what you asked. I realize it was a few months back, but the leaves will fall off again in the fall. From what little I know, good luck getting night (depredation) permits in AL to shoot coyotes during deer season. It’s far easier to get blessed off on in the off season.

FWIW, you can dig a post hole about 2’ deep, and mix dog food into the dirt in the bottom, and they’ll often come and dig at that dog food for days on end. Still, mostly at night.

hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
Okay....makes more sense now. First, you’d be surprised what you can do/see in thick field cover, whether it’s hay or row crops, especially with a thermal. it does make it tough, but rows are straight, elevation is your friend, and dryer nights (like the last several) make it easier. It IS a trial and error sort of pursuit. It takes time to figure out best ways to view, get a shooting lane, what you’re seeing, and what to look for. It CAN be done with both, but while it’s a struggle with a thermal, it’s gonna be 10x as hard with regular night vision. You’ll need to get closer and or higher, regardless.

Sam O

Established Member
Feb 3, 2016
Eva, AL
I’ve got a 556 with a 14.5 barrel and a primary arms fixed 3X. I’ve taken 2 coyotes with it at less than 100yards during the day. I also have a green light (amazon special) in case I see any at night.

Attachments

• C4EC3B55-663B-457B-A15B-A021C6C4EA1B.jpeg
    C4EC3B55-663B-457B-A15B-A021C6C4EA1B.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 2

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
I’ve got an old Remington in 222 and a Savage in 223 I like to pop them with. Also got a 223 Contender but haven’t killed a coyote with it yet, have killed 4 bobcats with the Contender though.