Workshop lighting opinions?

Darbad

Established Member
Hey y'all! I just put the deposit on a pole barn for our new property today. It will be 20x30, not including the side shed, with a concrete slab. The main use will be as a wood and metal shop, with occasional light-duty gunsmithing and etc. I worked as a theatrical carpenter for a while, so I know what I would like in terms of foot-candles.
My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for specific brands or types of product when it comes to LED shop lighting? I don't know whether to go with linear LED fixtures, or fluorescent fixtures with LED bulbs. Open to other options as well, but the rafters are low enough that high bay lights are out.
Thanks!

EDIT: I realized that "foot-candle" might not be the most common term and it looks pretty silly. It basically means one lumen per square foot, in case you ever come across it.

RandallC

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2015
Birmingham Al
LED all the way. in Commercial construction of buildings we use alot of these type.

They can free hang from wire, good light, low power per light, just dont let water get to them.

AlabamaLarry

Established Member
Jan 7, 2021
S. Huntsville, AL
Go get the Feit Electric LED tube lights at Costco for around $19 each you can't bet them. I have used them in shops, garages and laundry rooms they are great lights.