WTB Suppressor

alan.thurber1993

Established Member
Jan 1, 2022
Marion, AL
I’m new to suppressing. I’m confused to what you need tax stamps and all for. I’m trying to suppress 22, 556, and/or 9mm. Let’s hear what y’all got and advice/tips on going about this.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I own one for .223/5.56, I'd suggest going to the closest gun shop that sells them. Not sure about your area, but Family Firearms in Troy has them and is helpful and knowledgeable on the process and will walk you through it. The basics boil down to :
- buy the suppressor
- fill out your section of the proper form (ATF Form 4 if buying from a retailer)
- give the store employee helping you 2 copies of a recent (within 2 years IIRC) passport photo and 2 sets of fingerprints on FBI fingerprint cards. Most gun shops that sell suppressors will have them and you'll get the fingerprints done at the local police/sheriff's dept or possibly the county jail (as was my case). This is all MUCH simpler if the store has one of those Silencerco kiosks as it does it all right there.
- send the ATF $200 in either a check or money order
- Wait for a call from the gun shop saying your form was approved. This can take a while so don't hold your breath, but don't be too worried about being denied either; if you can pass a NICS check you can pass this too.
- go to gun shop and pick up your new suppressor
- keep your approved form and tax stamp some place safe. The store I got mine at suggested renting a deposit box at the bank and keeping it there, but I keep mine in a fireproof security box in my room. They also suggested making copies of the paperwork because if a cop stops you with it you'll need to show the papers. If you don't have them they have to detain you and wait for a federal agent to come by and check if you're in their system which around here can take a while.

That's pretty much it about the process. As for what suppressors to buy it's usually suggested to go with dedicated suppressors for each caliber if you want the best results but if you plan on using one for multiple calibers buy it in the biggest caliber you plan on using; i.e. a .45 suppressor for 9mm,.40, and .45 use or a .30 cal suppressor for 5.5.6 and 7.62.

Hopefully this helps.

Fritz53

Veteran
Aug 15, 2021
Atmore
Find your local dealer that has a Silencershop kiosk . Process is much simpler. If they have it they will be knowledgeable as to how the process works. With the kiosk it takes your finger prints and all the pictures needed.. everything can be done with one stop shopping.

Jpope

Established Member
Aug 5, 2021
Childersburg, AL
They also suggested making copies of the paperwork because if a cop stops you with it you'll need to show the papers. If you don't have them they have to detain you and wait for a federal agent to come by and check if you're in their system which around here can take a while.

I've got time to wait. You have zero legal obligation to show your approved tax stamp to anyone other than an agent of the ATF. I have digital copies of mine on my phone and if approached in a cordial fashion I'd be happy to show it to avoid any sort of mistake that might arise. If the cop wants to be a dick then he can simply get bent. As far as a range officer demanding to see them, not happening. I'll gladly leave and go elsewhere. Although I can think of one time in my life where I've been somewhere that actually has a dedicated range officer.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I own one for .223/5.56, I'd suggest going to the closest gun shop that sells them. Not sure about your area, but Family Firearms in Troy has them and is helpful and knowledgeable on the process and will walk you through it. The basics boil down to :
- buy the suppressor
- fill out your section of the proper form (ATF Form 4 if buying from a retailer)
- give the store employee helping you 2 copies of a recent (within 2 years IIRC) passport photo and 2 sets of fingerprints on FBI fingerprint cards. Most gun shops that sell suppressors will have them and you'll get the fingerprints done at the local police/sheriff's dept or possibly the county jail (as was my case). This is all MUCH simpler if the store has one of those Silencerco kiosks as it does it all right there.
- send the ATF $200 in either a check or money order
- Wait for a call from the gun shop saying your form was approved. This can take a while so don't hold your breath, but don't be too worried about being denied either; if you can pass a NICS check you can pass this too.
- go to gun shop and pick up your new suppressor
- keep your approved form and tax stamp some place safe. The store I got mine at suggested renting a deposit box at the bank and keeping it there, but I keep mine in a fireproof security box in my room. They also suggested making copies of the paperwork because if a cop stops you with it you'll need to show the papers. If you don't have them they have to detain you and wait for a federal agent to come by and check if you're in their system which around here can take a while.

That's pretty much it about the process. As for what suppressors to buy it's usually suggested to go with dedicated suppressors for each caliber if you want the best results but if you plan on using one for multiple calibers buy it in the biggest caliber you plan on using; i.e. a .45 suppressor for 9mm,.40, and .45 use or a .30 cal suppressor for 5.5.6 and 7.62.

Hopefully this helps.
To add to this and what others have said, if you can find a dealer with a Silencer Shop kiosk (VERY few in Alabama - Lake Martin Machine Gun & Range and Mark's Outdoor's if you're in south or central AL), and go through the electronic (e-file) process that is just now getting ironed out for automation. This week, a bunch of dealers have been able to do the certification online so that will cut down on travel time to the shop if you don't have one nearby. You will still have to visit the kiosk at least once to upload your fingerprints, but once you do that, you're golden forever more. The best part is supposedly the e-file process will cut wait times down from 9 months to a year and a half down to approximately 90 days. For those of us who have waited under the old process, this is kind of a game changer if it works as they say it will.

They also suggested making copies of the paperwork because if a cop stops you with it you'll need to show the papers. If you don't have them they have to detain you and wait for a federal agent to come by and check if you're in their system which around here can take a while.

I've got time to wait. You have zero legal obligation to show your approved tax stamp to anyone other than an agent of the ATF. I have digital copies of mine on my phone and if approached in a cordial fashion I'd be happy to show it to avoid any sort of mistake that might arise. If the cop wants to be a dick then he can simply get bent. As far as a range officer demanding to see them, not happening. I'll gladly leave and go elsewhere. Although I can think of one time in my life where I've been somewhere that actually has a dedicated range officer.
This is true, but you can also be detained and have your crap confiscated until all of that is verified. So you can go that route and it's perfectly legal, but let's just say I hope the officer you're dealing isn't having a bad day because you're probably going to have a bad one as well. Remember kids, civilians only get to lawfully fight against cops in court rooms. Not in the streets. (Thanks, Supreme Court)