You decide

Is a gun that's never been fired considered brand new when a new car driven off the lot is used?

• Total voters

Wesleykey

Director of Product Enhancement
Nov 7, 2023
Alabama
The “value” of it not being registered to me…..is real for me. How about y’all?

Moose

Established Member
Apr 19, 2022
Huntsville
I'm in the it depends category. Is the firearm in question current production or a classic/antique firearm?

If it's a two-year old Glock, it doesn't matter if it's been fired after purchase, it's used and I expect to pay used prices. If it's a 40 year old classic revolver that looks like new then I'll pay a premium.

Thor

Established Member
Sep 6, 2023
Blue Ridge, AL
Selling an unused gun usually means you need money. Most people suspect that and you'll never get new asking price unless it's a hard to get your hands on gun.

Mark_C

Established Member
Jun 7, 2023
Trussville
Really, if I'm being practical, if I want a "new" gun, I will order it direct and pick it up at my favorite FFL. If I want a gun that I'm going to use and not just collect, I don't really care if it is considered "new". I just want it with the base platform that allows me the most flexibility and want to inspect it and test fire it to assure that it is mechanically, materially, and functionally sound and shows no unusual wear or weathering that might indicate future problems.

BeardedNative

Established Member
Oct 24, 2022
Cullman,AL
A "Gun Store" or "FFL" is a retailer. They buy firearms and ammunition at a wholesale price, in hopes to turn a profit. You, the customer come in and purchase said gun or ammunition at a Retail price, therefore the Retailer has made a " profit" Now pause........Everyone wants to run around and think( unless they themselves have owned a business/small business) that ALL of that " profit" is just " profit" . What most of the population (excluding people who have owned or owned a business) know that in that " profit" you as the owner must deduct a portion of that profit for the following..
- Rent/ Mortgage on building/store space
-Utilities ,i.e Gas,Water,Power,Phone, Internet,advertising,etc.
-Insurance (being an FFL isn't cheap, you have a lot of inventory that you have to cover)
-Employee(s) Salary & possible benefits
-Advertising
-Tax
-Attorney Retainer to protect yourself from idiots who are sue happy .
-Cost of said Firearm/ Ammunition ( everyone thinks that all FFL/Gun Dealers buy all firearms for pennies and sell them for $$$$$$$. NOT TRUE !)

Then.................after ALL of that , the owner then gets a small portion of that money that can be considered profit.

The average mark-up on Firearms isn't what most of the population thinks it is (most times 12-18% on average <~~~~ NOT a big amount !)
So take a gun that cost the dealer say, $ 500. add 18% to that total, thats a $90 profit........not what most people think it is !
So when a dealer sells you a firearm or ammunition and then you regret what you purchased or have buyers remorse, do not take offense when you return to try and sell it back or trade it in. They are there to turn a profit.

So it would make zero sense for a dealer/FFL to give you back the entire purchase price of the gun you purchased. They would be the only one losing in the deal.

I owned a small business for 20+ years and I can promise that if it were not for PROFIT, I would have never turned the lights the very first day.....

So before you through your local FFL/Dealer under the bus and accuse them of ripping you off or not paying full retail in on a return, think of the above.........

Just food for thought...

Kowpot1

Established Member
Apr 28, 2021
Dothan, Al
New doesn't mean never driven. It just means title never changed.
There is no title for a gun. So new could mean never fired.