1911 Magazines: What kind do you use?

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I recently got back into the 1911 game and the gun I have only came with one kinda crappy magazine. I'm figuring out which brand and type of magazines I'm going to stock up on. I purchased a Nighthawk 8-rounder and that one seems good to go, no malfunctions so far, but I used to run mostly Wilson Combat. And of course, I've heard a bunch about Chip McCormick. So what do you use?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I only use Wilson Combat 47s, the seven-rounders. I also use Wilson’s low-profile steel basepads. You can buy the mags with those basepads already on them or you can buy them separately for magazines you might already have.

1688659668359.jpeg

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I only use Wilson Combat 47s, the seven-rounders. I also use Wilson’s low-profile steel basepads. You can buy the mags with those basepads already on them or you can buy them separately for magazines you might already have.

View attachment 10261
I may need to invest in some of those low-profile basepads. I've mostly used 47s as well, but the 8-rounders. I love the mags, but the factory polymer baseplates have always looked a little ugly to me. On the one hand, the gun's concealed, so it doesn't matter. On the other hand, an extra 1/2" sticking off the bottom of the gun makes it 1/2" harder to conceal.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
I may need to invest in some of those low-profile basepads. I've mostly used 47s as well, but the 8-rounders. I love the mags, but the factory polymer baseplates have always looked a little ugly to me. On the one hand, the gun's concealed, so it doesn't matter. On the other hand, an extra 1/2" sticking off the bottom of the gun makes it 1/2" harder to conceal.

I’m so with you - love the mags but not a fan of the standard-issue base. Someone over on 1911 Forum made me aware of the low-profile pads and I’ve never looked back. If I’m thinking correctly, they have the low-profiles in both steel and aluminum.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I’m so with you - love the mags but not a fan of the standard-issue base. Someone over on 1911 Forum made me aware of the low-profile pads and I’ve never looked back. If I’m thinking correctly, they have the low-profiles in both steel and aluminum.
Yeah, there's a very high chance I'll be investing in those soon. I found the aluminum and steel on the Wilson site, so when I've finished setting up my 1911 carry rig, I'll snag some, either just the basepads or the mags.

Another vote for Wilson combat 47's.seem to work well in all 1911's with what ever ammo.
Although metal form and checkmates have been good also for factory type mags
I think Checkmate may be manufacturing Kimber's Tac-Mags now, but I can't confirm that.

Ed Jennings

Established Member
Jul 6, 2020
Pleasant Grove AL
I recently got back into the 1911 game and the gun I have only came with one kinda crappy magazine. I'm figuring out which brand and type of magazines I'm going to stock up on. I purchased a Nighthawk 8-rounder and that one seems good to go, no malfunctions so far, but I used to run mostly Wilson Combat. And of course, I've heard a bunch about Chip McCormick. So what do you use?
For .45, I have used Kimber “TacMags” with excellent results. They are 8 round, and fit flush. For 9mm, those are a bit more picky. I had best result from the ones with the crimp in the front side of the tube. At the time they were referred to as Springfield design. Don’t remember who made the ones I had, but I think it may have been SA. I might add that as far a the 9mm is concerned, most of te problems reported, and there are a lot, seem to involve 10 round mags. I never used anything but 9 round, and had zero issues.

Last edited:

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
For .45, I have used Kimber “TacMags” with excellent results. They are 8 round, and fit flush. For 9mm, those are a bit more picky. I had best result from the ones with the crimp in the front side of the tube. At the time they were referred to as Springfield design. Don’t remember who made the ones I had, but I think it may have been SA. I might add that as far a the 9mm is concerned, most of te problems reported, and there are a lot, seem to involve 10 round mags. I never used anything but 9 round, and had zero issues.
Good to know that you've had luck with the Kimber Tac-Mags, my LGS has loads of them. I considered trying them, but I'd never seen any reviews for them. May pick some up one of these days.

Jul 3, 2023
Leeds
I prefer Wilson combat 8 rounder mags. for conceal carry. But at the range I have several, factory Colt 7 round mags, and others work fine. I keep my practice mags and concealed carry magazines separate.
I just moved here from Georgia 10 months ago and can’t seem to find 2 of my Wilson combat mags., and that is driving me crazy. I didn’t realize how important they were to me.

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I prefer Wilson combat 8 rounder mags. for conceal carry. But at the range I have several, factory Colt 7 round mags, and others work fine. I keep my practice mags and concealed carry magazines separate.
I just moved here from Georgia 10 months ago and can’t seem to find 2 of my Wilson combat mags., and that is driving me crazy. I didn’t realize how important they were to me.
Wilsons are definitely the consensus. Mine finally came in the mail, and now I'm just waiting for the rest of my setup to come in. Once I've got a couple hundred more malfunction-free rounds through it, my 1911 will be my full-size carry option as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I just moved as well and found one of my P320 mags. I sold my P320 three years ago. I thought I'd left that mag at the range and it got snatched up or something. Nope. In a little box.