45 ACP, What do I look for?

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
Gun show is next month, and I wanted to save my money up for a 45 pistol rather than a rotary gun. What should I consider when looking at 1911s or other guns of this caliber? This will be the first high caliber gun I've ever will have owned, and I will also need a new box. What ammo should I fill it with? +p, FMJ, HP, or Frangibles for everyday CC?

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
1911's can be a fun rabbit hole to go down! What kind of budget do you have? What is it's purpose? (Range, EDC, CCW, HD, etc) Knowing these these questions will likely get a more informed response! BTW, 1911's in 9mm are fun, much cheaper to shoot, usually easier to shoot well:)

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
1911's can be a fun rabbit hole to go down! What kind of budget do you have? What is it's purpose? (Range, EDC, CCW, HD, etc) Knowing these these questions will likely get a more informed response! BTW, 1911's in 9mm are fun, much cheaper to shoot, usually easier to shoot well:)
It'll be under $500, It's basically for CC. I've been around BB guns with the same frame pattern, and with the slenderness and better Conditionings than an M9 being a single action I thought it would be the avenue I would explore more into...

I'm okay with a new ammo crate and haven't really thought about sharing in my dad's ammo pool, all I just need is a round that can protect more than just myself.

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
I recently bought a Tisas 1911 Carry in 9mm. (It is Commander size which I prefer.) I love it and it was less than $500 OTD. It is a very soft shooter with a VERY nice trigger out of the box! I have a Colt Classic 1911 Government model in .45 acp and the Tisas has a better trigger!

Rock Island, Tisas, Armscor are all solid 1911 choices in your price range and will often be more reliable than ones that cost twice as much!

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
TY, I was just in the mood for something I could feel more comfortable with, my Broom handled J barely fits my oversized hand, I've had it since 2014 and about 10k slugs cycled. The ballistics on my Rossi are spot on accurate enough; however, I need a gun that fits my hand rather than my old worn down 38. Never thought "until now" that brass spitters were a good idea, but seeing the allotted time I may have I'll need the upgrade soon; otherwise, I may not get another opportunity with the global political worries, a semiauto repeater may not be a biggy for me.

I notice when I hold my pap's M9A1 the grip is wide enough but shorter than my liking. I think I may buy special mags for it to fit my hand better later on.

Seth lail

Established Member
Sep 4, 2023
Talladega
I love 1911's as much as the next guy but for concealed carry I'd consider something polymer and a bit lighter and something with more capacity. I have a Springfield armory XDM .45 with a 3.8 inch barrel that makes a decent carry gun those are some of the things I would consider for a daily carry gun something comfortable and inexpensive, god forbid you actually have to use the gun I'd rather hand off a gun to the police than a nicer one, that said everyone has their own taste and if you're dead set on a 1911 make sure you get a good holster and belt to support the weight of the weapon

swons

Established Member
Jan 31, 2024
Fort Payne
I have a SW M&P 2.0 in .45. I think I paid around $550 for it and it came with two 10 round magazines. I didn't like the trigger so I dropped in an Apex trigger which was about another $120. The pistol is fantastic but getting the 10th round into the magazine can be pretty tough. I've ran about a 1000 rounds through it and not had a single issue with it. It comes with grip panels to adjust it for your comfort. I also have a Colt 1911 Government model but the SW M&P 2.0 is lighter to carry and more practical, buy that's just my opinion.

Sharpie

Established Member
May 24, 2021
Northeast 'Bama
At your budget, Girsan and Rock Island Armory are your best options. Rock Island is the old standby and is a fine military grade piece. Girsan is sort of a new kid on the block in the budget 1911 world. Alot of guys who know tell me the Girsan is outstanding. Better fit and finish and tighter than RIA. RIA is Philippines by the way, while Girsan is Turkish. One thing to consider - you may well find a Springfield GI or Milspec on the used racks around your price point. These are great, rugged, reliable USA made pieces.

Don't listen to the nay sayers. A Government Model 1911 is easy and fine for CCW. Get a good holster and a good belt. A 1911 is thin and extremely well balanced. It melts into the 4 O'clock position - just get a quality holster that works for you. 45acp is soft shooting. Start with 230 grain "ball" FMJs. Buy up several hollow point loads and test them once you get proficient.

The 1911 .45 is a superb handgun if you can only hahe one.

Tango_7

Established Member
Jan 15, 2024
Skipperville
I wasn't aware at the time while I was on the CTD site that I was looking at the Girsan. I like the extra railing; however, I was concerned about the rough anodization on the slide and the functionality of the leeway of it being brushed off after a few mag emptying sessions. It was just a mechanical worry at the time, but if nothing happens next weekend, I may look from there for one of these...
DSC01610.JPG

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
I wasn't aware at the time while I was on the CTD site that I was looking at the Girsan. I like the extra railing; however, I was concerned about the rough anodization on the slide and the functionality of the leeway of it being brushed off after a few mag emptying sessions. It was just a mechanical worry at the time, but if nothing happens next weekend, I may look from there for one of these...
View attachment 13377
If you wind out going down the 1911 rabbit hole be aware that the ones with rails don't always fit in 1911 holsters intended for Govt models! In other words, if you don't absolutely need a rail don't get the model that has one! I have (3) 1911's and fortunately they can all share the same holsters. Good luck!

condoor

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2024
Alabaster
A used Glock 21 should be on your list to look at as well. You should be able to find one under $500. Not as finicky as 1911s, weighs half as much and holds twice as many. (roughly)

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I use 230gr Federal HST in my .45. Comparable muzzle velocity and recoil to the 230gr FMJ I use at the range. If you're set on a 1911, Tisas and Rock Island are very likely your best options. I used to have a Rock Island that worked well with quality magazines and they have an overall good reputation. Keep in mind, if you get one with a rail, it can be hard to find holsters. But if you throw a Surefire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1 on it, it should fit just fine in a Phlster Floodlight 2 holster.

Edit: If you just want a .45 in general, the Glock 21, Glock 30(s), Glock 36, M&P .45, Kahr .45, Sig P220, and others are all solid options, too.

5lima30ret

Established Member
Feb 15, 2024
Foley, AL
I use 230gr Federal HST in my .45. Comparable muzzle velocity and recoil to the 230gr FMJ I use at the range. If you're set on a 1911, Tisas and Rock Island are very likely your best options. I used to have a Rock Island that worked well with quality magazines and they have an overall good reputation. Keep in mind, if you get one with a rail, it can be hard to find holsters. But if you throw a Surefire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1 on it, it should fit just fine in a Phlster Floodlight 2 holster.

Edit: If you just want a .45 in general, the Glock 21, Glock 30(s), Glock 36, M&P .45, Kahr .45, Sig P220, and others are all solid options, too.
I would add the venerable Sig P-220 to that list as well! They are very good shooters and a soft recoiling .45 acp.