Burris or Leupold?

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
I recently restored a Marlin 30-30 and am looking for opinions on which optic I should get. I've owned both brands but Leupold is obviously better, however, with a rifle like this that I won't be shooting all that often (take a few deer a year with it - maybe) should I go with the cheaper option in the Burris?

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
Not to add confusion to the mix but I really like the Crimson trace scopes. So much so that I purchased one for my 300 win mag and my 22lr trainer. Bergaras. Don't get me started on the Bergaras. I love em.
How do you compare the glass to other scopes on the market. I completely forgot Crimson Trace was making them

Bypass

Back in Black
Staff member
Army
Sep 12, 2018
Owens Cross Roads Alabama
How do you compare the glass to other scopes on the market. I completely forgot Crimson Trace was making them
They seem comparable to any other decent quality scope particularly the Leupold, burris and vortex offerings. You know how it is though I'm partial because I own a few. The last leupold I had at the lower level had plastic adjustment knobs. I had a Burris and got rid of it for a Leupold because the crosshairs were canted. It was a pistol scope though. I have even had a Nightforce one of the first made that would go out of focus every time I fired a shot out of my PSS 300WM way back in the day. Scopes can be hit or miss. On a marlin 30-30 I might lean toward one of these if I were going to edge into the Crimson Trace world.

These blemished scopes by Midwayusa are generally perfect. Usually it's just a missing pamphlet in a box or the box is a little damaged. I have two of their blemished models and they are perfect.

https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=337783

1670608806879.png

1670608841978.png

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
All that said if I had to chose between Burris and Leupold it would be Leupold all day. But that is just based on my past experience with the two.
Thanks for your reply! I'll take a look at the crimson trace options as well. I have a long list of to-do's with my current firearms but this is one I've been thinking about for too long.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
For such a small and light rifle, look at the Leupold VX-II 2-7. It is the lightest scope in its class. I have 2 on Remington Model 7's (which are just as small and light).

Lance

Established Member
Jun 6, 2021
Monroe County
My avatar photo is courtesy of a Leupold VX2, 3-9x40, on a Weatherby XXII in .17HMR. From 100 yards. Look close - that's not 2 bullet holes. There are three.

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
I am a Bushell Tactical guy. I like the glass.

What are you looking for in magnification? I might have a leupold scope in 3-9 I could part with.

Moose

Established Member
Apr 19, 2022
Huntsville
If you want to go the retro route I suggest a Leupold straight 4x or 6x. If you want a variable Leupold makes a variety of low power variables..

wardamneagle

Established Member
Nov 7, 2022
Auburn
I've been looking at multiple options, including Athlon, SWFA, and a few smaller names (made in Japan)

Just looking for ideas for projects