CCW requested to sell gun

bltemple

Established Member
Apr 4, 2023
Birmingham
I noticed several forum members require CCW to sell / trade firearm's. Is this an actual law or just a personal preference to cover you ?

Txbobcat

Established Member
Apr 17, 2023
Madison, AL
Interested in this topic as well. With Constutional Carry now, less people may have their pistol permit. Sure would make me feel better knowing someone has passed a background check.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Fear has impacted legal gun owners from doing legal things. While I understand it, it's also sad to see one law abiding person impose a hassle on another law abiding person for a legal transaction.

Alabama has no law requiring a background check on the purchaser of a firearm when the seller is not a licensed dealer. Alabama law prohibits anyone from delivering a handgun (but not a long gun) to any person he or she has reasonable cause to believe is a minor, (except under the circumstances provided in Section 13A-11-72), a drug addict, an habitual drunkard, or a person of unsound mind, has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence, misdemeanor offense of domestic violence, a violent offense as listed in Section 12-25-32(14), anyone who is subject to a valid protection order for domestic abuse, or anyone of unsound mind.1 An individual may deliver a handgun to such persons if they have had their firearm rights restored by operation of law or legal process

Send the buyer an email asking if any of the above apply to them and ask if they are prohibited in any way from owning a firearm.

Once you get no replies, you have gone beyond your duty. Save that email and move on knowing you legally did what you wanted to do with your own private property. Stop doing the work of the anti gunners for them by requiring things that are not required.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
You can call it fear if you want to. I'm also afraid to jump off a cliff or handle rattlesnakes.

Until there's a better way to determine whether someone is as peaceful* as I am, I will do what I can to be responsible with the things I can control.

*Except for avoiding the gang members wearing badges, I don't really care about somebody "abiding laws". There's plenty of peaceful people with a record and too many evil people who are legally clean as a whistle.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
To each their own in a private transaction. The email approach noted above does go beyond the law and likely is a good practice.

Having said that each person gets to make their own decisions on such a thing as they own the property. Someone else does not have a right to impose limits, ruies or the lack thereof on an owner of private property beyond the law.

I personally am a collector of firearms but I have never sold or traded one. I guess I tend to like what I buy too much. If I did decide to sell I likely would require seeing an Alabama ID at a minimum and I might go further with a bill of sale. The concealed carry permit wouldn’t hurt to give one peace of mind. Again though it is up to the individual owner of the firearm.

One other point on concealed carry. While I am a supporter of what passed in Alabama and another 25 states to date, it is not clear to me each of those states new law would apply in all cases to a citizen of another state as their concealed carry reprocicity has in the part. Thus I likely will maintain my Alabama concealed carry permit for the near future as a form of insurance when I travel across state lines.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
Please do not misunderstand my post above

You can do as you choose with your personal property within the bounds of the law. it is always your choice to sell or not sell to whomever you like.

You should take precautions by asking if the person is prohibited from owning guns and and see how they respond. If you 'get a feeling' something is wrong, bail on the deal.

Talk to people via voice before meeting up (video if they are willing) you will get a good sense. I am not saying sell to anyone with money, you should use some judgement here. An FFL can refuse to sell to you if you seem too nervous/sketchy or they don't like you.

I am just saying, don't let fear make you think everyone trying to buy your gun is a violent criminal just waiting to get a gun to commit a crime. Most people are not violent criminals (exception I hear might be Chicago).

My opinion is don't impose laws that aren't there. Good judgement should always be used.

Guns are not devices of mystery, they are easy to build and they are everywhere. 400 million plus in the US 'we think' but we really know it is a ton more ever since 80% lowers got popular.

I would guess most guns in the hands of criminals are stolen. I read something the other day about stolen guns from parked cars being the #1 source of stolen guns. If you leave your carry gun in your car to enter some dumbass gun free zone we are all forced at some point or another in our lives to enter, Lock your gun in a safe inside your car and don't just leave it in the glovebox or console.

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
The "good ol boy" sheriff permit system here, and the inconsistent habit of (some) sheriffs to actually run a NICS check on permittees, is why ATF revoked ALs CCW permit status as an exemption from NICS.

ZERO, point in obtaining a CCW, unless it's as an exemption from NICS, IMHO.

BlackTemplar

Established Member
Dec 29, 2022
Northport
Not my job to worry about if they are legal or not. Once they hand me the cash it’s on them what they choose to do with it. This is part of the freedom the founding fathers wanted for us.

Thomas Jefferson once said "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
For me it’s twofold- firstly, I know I’m selling to a person who is of age and at least at time of issuance is legally able to have a firearm. Secondly, the question itself is a solid litmus test. If someone gets dodgy and evasive or outright rude and hostile over my question (both of which have happened) then I don’t sell to them, simple as that. They’re within their rights to refuse and so am I.

Goosebuster

Established Member
Apr 22, 2023
Piedmont
Its personal preference, I know for me I think a bill of sale is a joke and as long as I dont know they're a prohibited person im not doing anything illegal by selling them a gun. Im not an FFL and im not going to run around trying to act like one.

kmann

Established Member
Feb 6, 2022
Gardendale
Its personal preference, I know for me I think a bill of sale is a joke and as long as I dont know they're a prohibited person im not doing anything illegal by selling them a gun. Im not an FFL and im not going to run around trying to act like one.
I agree with the bill of sale part. I’ve yet to really see the point in it. If the other person wants one I’ll oblige, but as long as I’m reasonably sure at the time of sale the person is above board then I don’t see the need to have it on paper.

Goosebuster

Established Member
Apr 22, 2023
Piedmont
I agree with the bill of sale part. I’ve yet to really see the point in it. If the other person wants one I’ll oblige, but as long as I’m reasonably sure at the time of sale the person is above board then I don’t see the need to have it on paper.
the only thing I wont go along with is a bill of sale, if someone insisted on a bill of sale id move along and not make a deal. I think the greatest thing about selling face to face with others is the fact that the government doesnt have their nose in our business and there are no records being kept of who has what. A bill of sale serves no purpose and is a complete waste of time, it protects no one from anything.

Zeroz

Established Member
Sep 22, 2021
Prattville
I agree their is not set way. Whatever makes you feel better
I see the bill of sale as a paper trail. You can look at it good or bad. It would do same thing as email if you have the wording in the document about legally owning a firearm. Someone else gets ahold of firearm that I bought from an ffl then guess who is first up and having to explain if it is used in a crime. It could possibly help protect original owners liabilty.Bill of sale I say here Joe or whomever bought it last year. Will it hold up don't know. Also if you sold it to me and then reported it stolen, I have a lot of digging to try to prove otherwise. Most people wouldn't do that but to me a simple piece of paper could help more than hurt. So I see it protecting and being the easiest to make a transaction.

4l65e

Established Member
Apr 30, 2023
Alabama
If you're buying, you don't have to do business with the guy that wants to see your permit.
On the other hand, if you're selling, you can make your own arbitrary set of rules. Or not!

Either way, if there's anything weird about the other party, it's best to stop the transaction.