Communications, or the lack of

scooter

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2022
Lamar County
Hello All,

I am fairly new to this sight, but I am a reasonable person. I do not know why some of the adds that are up go unanswered for days, weeks, or even months. If I was interested in, and was offering an item for sale or trade, I would be checking my posts on a daily basis and answering them accordingly. For me, it is unprofessional, and inconsiderate to not monitor your posts and manage them accordingly. I have had some good and immediate responses; however, I also have had some replies go unanswered. I am just posting my observations. please do not take this post personally or targeted, it is just an inconvenience when you are interested in making a deal and you are left in the dark.
r

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I've replied via text to ads on here with "text 205-xxx-xxxx" and sent a follow-up PM through the site, with no response to either. A few days later, I'll see then bump the ad. All I can say is, "I tried...".

I've had the same issue with Armslist lately, too. I'll send a message through the site and a text, never get a response. Several days later when the ad is eligible to bump, I'll see it back at the top. I can't figure folks out.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Unfortunately a significant number of people go through life without any focus or effort. Throw in their face stuck to a phone that has taken over their life through social media and it’s amazing some of these people manage to live day to day. Thus “joe” post his ad but never replies or even checks to see if someone replied. I’m sure the same ones you tried to contact would complain no one responded to their ads.

Of course I’ve seen the same thing with buyers that ask a question that’s clearly answered in the ad. Fun stuff.

It’s just people in the modern world and some aren’t worth their salt. Sad to say on this Palm Sunday but it’s true.

Now go be positive

Sharpie

Established Member
May 24, 2021
Northeast 'Bama
Hello All,

I am fairly new to this sight, but I am a reasonable person. I do not know why some of the adds that are up go unanswered for days, weeks, or even months. If I was interested in, and was offering an item for sale or trade, I would be checking my posts on a daily basis and answering them accordingly. For me, it is unprofessional, and inconsiderate to not monitor your posts and manage them accordingly. I have had some good and immediate responses; however, I also have had some replies go unanswered. I am just posting my observations. please do not take this post personally or targeted, it is just an inconvenience when you are interested in making a deal and you are left in the dark.
r
It would seem to me with the stringent and unnecessary 10 post minimum before one can post in the sell thread that they would do something like this to boost the quality of the forum - besides forcing people to literally spam post just for the privilege of using the one feature 99% of us are here exclusively to use. Dead for sale posts floating around brings down the quality of any site.

But that's just me.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Didn't want to start a new thread, figured I'd add this here since it's sort of a "What's up with buyer's/seller's?" thread.

I get this not so much from here but from Armslist ads...

If I'm listing a gun for $1,000, I'll invariably get some joker that low-ball messages, "I'll give you $600 cash today."...as if offering "cash" is some type of incentive for me to take nearly 50% of my asking price.

Cash is all I take, guy. I don't accept S&H Greenstamps, Chuckie Cheese tokens, cereal box tops, Blockbuster reward points, etc. That price I have listed is cash.

BigSqueeze

Established Member
Jun 26, 2023
Didn't want to start a new thread, figured I'd add this here since it's sort of a "What's up with buyer's/seller's?" thread.

I get this not so much from here but from Armslist ads...

If I'm listing a gun for $1,000, I'll invariably get some joker that low-ball messages, "I'll give you $600 cash today."...as if offering "cash" is some type of incentive for me to take nearly 50% of my asking price.

Cash is all I take, guy. I don't accept S&H Greenstamps, Chuckie Cheese tokens, cereal box tops, Blockbuster reward points, etc. That price I have listed is cash.
Yeah man, but have you seen the performance of Mom Bucks vs the Dollar in the market? /s

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
Can someone also explain "trade value" versus "listed sale price"?

I had a person on Armslist inquire about a firearm I have listed for $1300. They asked if I was interested in a trade, so I asked for the info. They have their gun listed for $800, but said that "trade value" is $1,000. So I replied back, "OK, then...I guess trade value on mine is $1500?", at which point they blew a gasket. I don't understand the "It's worth $800 if I sell it, but if I'm trading it it's worth $1,000."

I mean, if we're trading then mine should be worth more due to "trade value" too, right? :)

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I’m not into trading but I’m definitely a buyer. I’ve seen the post of cash value of $X and trade value of $Y. My assumption has always been that those sellers are offering a discount on cash vs trade. To you question in theory the trade values should be on the same basis.

I honestly don’t really buy into a difference in cash vs trade value. Cash probably is more attractive to most people but if both parties are aligned in a trade then not much difference from a valuation standpoint.

I know a lot of folks are into trading but for me it would just be a complication generally. Plus I’m just a buyer of firearms and don’t sale/trade them anyway. I guess I like the firearms I’ve acquired too much.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I think I was more confused by the "I can jack up my price, but you can't" mentality. Just another by-product of the self-centered, adults-acting-like-rotten 5 year olds society we've created I guess.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I think you have the answer in all cases here, just trust what you are already feeling about the deal.

No reply? you don't want to do business with that person
Jacked up trade value? you don't want to do business with that person

Someone asking over retail price for a used glock 19? you don't want to do business with that person.

You can usually tell pretty quickly who you do not want to do business with

For some reason people get hung up on 'the deal' and continue pursuing when they shouldn't...

erebos

Established Member
Sep 4, 2023
Montgomery, AL
Hello All,

r
I am rather late to this party, but please never try to buy or sell anything on FB marketplace. I almost reached the point that I would have as soon burned the item as dealt with another ghosting inquirer before it was all finished.

Oldort58

Established Member
Sep 19, 2023
Decatur
Hello All,

r
Leaving some one hanging is just uncool. If you’ve lost interest, just say so.

RustyRooster

Established Member
Sep 16, 2023
Birmingham
One way to improve the quality of the classifieds is to have a standardized way to mark posts as SOLD or CLOSED. Then, if there's no response by the original poster for a certain amount of time (a month? six months?), it gets automatically closed. So many of the posts look like people put up offers or ask, "Still available?" with no response at all. I'm betting there are a lot of items posted which have been sold, but the OP didn't bother to mark it, so it wastes people's time and makes people not as interested in looking at what's "for sale."

Not sure how feasible that is with this particular forum, but something like that to weed out old, dead classifieds would probably be helpful. Can't complain too much since I'd rather be on here 10x more than Armslist.

erebos

Established Member
Sep 4, 2023
Montgomery, AL
One way to improve the quality of the classifieds is to have a standardized way to mark posts as SOLD or CLOSED. Then, if there's no response by the original poster for a certain amount of time (a month? six months?), it gets automatically closed. So many of the posts look like people put up offers or ask, "Still available?" with no response at all. I'm betting there are a lot of items posted which have been sold, but the OP didn't bother to mark it, so it wastes people's time and makes people not as interested in looking at what's "for sale."

Not sure how feasible that is with this particular forum, but something like that to weed out old, dead classifieds would probably be helpful. Can't complain too much since I'd rather be on here 10x more than Armslist.
I have not yet posted anything in the for sale category, so I wouldn't know, but editing the title if possible would do it. I did sell something on armslist and immediately deactivated the post once sold.