Favorite 1911

PDren000

Established Member
Oct 17, 2019
Troy/Brundidge
I think it depends on what you’re going to use it for and what your budget is. If it’s for a range toy or a beater gun, I think you’d be fine going with a Rock Island or Tisas. Just be aware that with budget offerings like that, you might need to have a little bit of smithing done to ensure reliability. When I had a Rock Island it wasn’t an issue, but I also know people who have had bad experiences.

I’ve been running a Series 80 Colt for a bit now, and it’s been great. Leaps and bounds better than the Rock Island even though the RIA was surprisingly nice. Of course, if you’ve got a few thousand dollars to drop on it, there’s always Wilson Combat and Nighthawk, but I haven’t used their stuff personally.

Mississippi97

Established Member
Jan 5, 2021
Mobile/Baldwin County
I’ve only had two so far. First was a Kimber ultra carry ii that was great after the break in period. I have read and watched plenty of reviews that called them finicky to unreliable. The one I owned was great. My second was a Ruger SR1911CMD with the alloy frame. It’s my favorite pistol. Always been reliable and accurate. The balance of the 1911 design with the light frame and commander length is perfect I think. Those were both from my single days when I could drop $800+ on a gun when I wanted to. Budget is lower these days which has me more open minded. I’ve heard good things about the Tisas 1911s. I want to try one sometime. I’ve also considered saving over the long term for a Wilson Combat or Dan Wesson maybe.

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
Looking at getting a full size 1911 in .45. What do y’all recommend?
Springfield Ronin- best out of the box 1911 I have owned and I have had Colts, Kimbers,Sig, Rock Island and a few others.Everything I did to "enhance" others, comes on the Ronin standard at a good price.Best inexpensive is Rock Island "Rock" series, imo.