How much ammo do you keep in stock?

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
For every different cartridge/caliber you have how much to you stock up on in each one? I was thinking 250 each and maybe less on some rifle rounds I don't shoot much.
A buddy of mine wants at least 1000 each. I think he even has 10,000 of .22

DumpsterDog

Established Member
Aug 2, 2022
Birmingham, AL
It depends on your usage and budget. I shoot a lot of 5.56 and 9mm in competition and training, so I keep 3-4K of those on hand. Of that 2k of each is in the "break in case of emergency" storage. I would love to have more but the budget doesn't allow for it. A couple hundred - 1000 of everything else that I don't shoot much like you said. .22LR almost feels free I just buy 2 bulk packs when I start running low.

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
Not to sound like a conspiracy nut but, when this country falls into anarchy you will wish you had several thousand rounds of each caliber. The time to start stocking up isn’t when things start to go bad. Now would be a good time.

gundoc

Established Member
Dec 14, 2016
Minimum of a thousand for primary calibers. 9mm and 5.56. Preferably more. I have 10k of 22

mhobtr

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Birmingham
Ammo is not going to get any cheaper. The last time we had shortages, the prices went out of sight. And it looks like the Feds are doing everything they can to tighten the supply.

Also disturbing to find out that a Czech company has bought several manufacturers including Federal, CCI, Speer and many more.

If the SHTF, ammo will be worth more than gold.

Last edited:

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
The Czech company is the least of your concerns. Vista outdoors who owned the ammo companies federal, cci, Remington donated to democrat national campaigns as a corporation in 2012, 2016, 2020, and also to many governor lists.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
Quite a bit of the calibers I shoot alot, 5.56, 308, 22 lr 357/38. I mainly keep primers, powder and bullets on hand. 5000 each of large rifle. Small rifle, large and small pistol.

Chikn

Established Member
Sep 2, 2023
Opp
Guys. Anyone can join a forum. No offense to the OP.
Don't go posting answers to "show me your gun pics" or "how many guns you got" or...."how much ammo do you keep around". Its the internet. The Alphabet Soup are here and they ask these kinds of questions. Its real easy to find out who you are, and where you live from a forum.
Its no one's business.

An ATF operative somewhere:
"Dang, you know that sumbitch got a pile of ammo. Smith, get in here quick."

FatDog

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Birmingham, AL
It's not just the "government" you need to be aware of. It's very easy to track down anyone once they've posted on the Net. Saying you have X amount of ammo in your home is like putting a sticker on your house or car that says something along the lines of "This Truck Protected By S&W." Guess who gets robbed when they advertise :)

Beastmaker

Established Member
Nov 27, 2022
Tuscaloosa
Guys. Anyone can join a forum. No offense to the OP.
Don't go posting answers to "show me your gun pics" or "how many guns you got" or...."how much ammo do you keep around". Its the internet. The Alphabet Soup are here and they ask these kinds of questions. Its real easy to find out who you are, and where you live from a forum.
Its no one's business.

An ATF operative somewhere:
"Dang, you know that sumbitch got a pile of ammo. Smith, get in here quick."
Good point. I was genuinely wondering and found out im in the minority. It won't hurt my feelings if they remove this post

Davidhambey

Established Member
Dec 31, 2023
Anniston, AL
For every different cartridge/caliber you have how much to you stock up on in each one? I was thinking 250 each and maybe less on some rifle rounds I don't shoot much.
I just hunt the deals and snag 500-1000 rounds at a time when it goes on sale.

Last edited:

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
When society brakes down and falls apart, and you’re on your own, is 250 rounds going to be enough to protect you and yours. Also, no amount of gold and silver will matter. Food, water, fuel and ammunition will the currency.