HOW TO DETERMINE VALUE OF FIREARM

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
Please offer suggestions for how to place a value on a firearm. This is so I can determine an asking price for firearms I want to sell. I have looked at this and other forums and searched history to get an approximate value. I also looked at Armslist and Gun Broker, but the values on those sites seem inflated. Thanks.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
That said a Price Check section added to the forum might be a good idea as well since local prices can vary from what's on Gunbroker/Armslist

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Blue book of firearms has some decent pricing but can be dated. Look at what a new one cost vs what a used one does can also be helpful. On gunbroker you will see crazy asking prices so as others said only look at sold prices.

Last but not least you can ask members here for guidance. I think most folks will give you an honest answer.

Last edited:

AL3%

Established Member
Feb 27, 2024
Gulf shores
Blue book of firearms has some decent pricing but can be dated. Look at what a new one cost vs what a used one does can also be helpful. On gunbroker you will see crazy asking prices so as others said only look at sold prices.

Last but not least you can ask members here for guidance. I think most folks will give you an honest answer.
Not my post but thanks for the information

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
If you look on gunbroker, make sure you go to advanced search, and view completed, sold, auctions.
This is the way to do it for sure since it'll show you what people are actually paying vs. what some clowns out there are asking for

OldScool.22

Established Member
Jan 28, 2022
Mobile Alabama
How do you determine the value of anything.*** YOU Need to do some research, In today's world that is not that difficult. If it is a common gun Like others have said just look at what that same gun has sold for on sites like gunbroker. You have to use some common sense I've seen Marlin 30-30s sold on gun broker for $10000 you know This is just a money laundry thing. If your gun is unusual, Let's say a German Luger P-08 , There are reference books for practically every gun ever made. If your gun is valuable enough it would pay you to invest in one of these books. You can have 2 German Lugers that look practically identical, One could be worth $1000 And the other one could be worth $10000 simply because of the stamping on the guns. how Rare is your gun and what condition is it in. Gun prices can be very regional. What a gun sales for in one area does not mean it will sell for that in another.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
What a gun sales for in one area does not mean it will sell for that in another.
This is a big point not just for guns but for any kind of collector's item - they're only really worth what people are actually willing to pay for them. You'll see all kinds of speculative numbers thrown out there but the vast majority of sales don't happen at those prices.

Shootist00

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

What did you pay for that firearm?
Is it rare in any way?
How long have you had it?
How much have you shot it?
What condition is in it?
What is the current MLP for that item?
What is the price your local gun stores is charging for one?
And the bottom line is what is the lowest price you would let it go for?