Lever gun lovers?

Mississippi97

Established Member
Jan 5, 2021
Mobile/Baldwin County
1990s model Winchester 94AE 30-30 carbine with a big lever. Birthday gift from my dad when I turned 19. I watched a lot of John Wayne westerns as a kid and he knew I would like the carbine with a large loop lever. And a Savage 99E in 243win that my dad deer hunted with it when I was a teen and gave it to me years ago. Had a Henry 22lr years ago that was really accurate.

Joel6180

Staff member
Advisor
Jan 27, 2018
Atmore, AL
Have you ever had any problems with that Marlin hanging up.
I have fixed a few with that problem - the one I own now had the "Marlin Jam" when I first got it. Many threads on the ways to fix it on the Marlin Owners Forum.

Topdog3k

Nov 10, 2023
Owens Crossroads
I have a Marlin 30.30 , actualy my wife's, LOL, but she was gracious to let me use it last season when my TC 308 had a cartridge issue, took 3 deer with it !!
So, yep it's pretty sweet, spot on with the sights !

Mark_C

Established Member
Jun 7, 2023
Trussville
How many lever action lovers are here and what do you have?

I have a Henry .44mag Carbine with octagon barrel and large lever.

My wife has a Henry .22 lever gun.

I have 5 lever-action rifles.

A Marlin .22 L, LR, S side eject Original Golden M39
An Ithaca .22 LR top eject
A Winchester .22 L, LR, S side eject
A Marlin 30-30 side eject, gold trigger
A Henry Remington .44 Magnum, .44 SPL side eject, gold plated.

I've always loved using lever-action. For some reason, they just feel balanced from front to back in my hand. I rarely ever hunt deer with my 30-06, .308, 7mm Mag, or .270 because the areas where we traditionally hunt (stalking more than sitting in a stand) are dense and swampy, with a lot of vines. I'm often almost on top of a deer before it jumps up and I have been frustrated too many times trying to get the distance between my eye and the primary lens correct and then trying to find the deer in the view. The deer will be out of sight, hidden behind so much brush that I can no longer see him, or he moves laterally with respect to my position and my rifle becomes entangled in branches and vines and I can't keep up with him.

I prefer to just sling my 30-30 over my shoulder on the way in (and I don't get my muzzle entangled up in every bush or tree), then carry at low-port as I duck through the brush and when the deer jumps up, I just line up the iron sights and if horns are present, I let loose. Occasionally, if I haven't used the 30-30 lately, I'll forget to move the lever to load the next round. It rarely matters anyway because that heavy, blunt 220-230 grain bullet knocks the foliage out of its way and puts some serious punch on the deer. Out of maybe 15-20 deer that I've shot with the 30-30, I only had to track one more than a couple-hundred yards and I can't recall ever missing one with the 30-30. I've missed quite a few with my scoped rifles if I jump them while walking. We need a scope that has a detachable eyepiece that is pre-focused and gets its optic data through bluetooth or low-strength wireless ethernet. ;-)

My cousin's husband has a Browning lever-action .22 that with just iron sights is the most comfortable and accurate rifle I've ever shot. I typically start wavering a bit when trying to hold my sights on a target regardless of my shooting stance or even when I have a bench or bipod. His rifle is so well balanced and innately fitting that I can hold on target for 30 or 40 seconds with basically no movement, in a standing position, with nothing to use as an anchor.

DrMark

Established Member
Dec 9, 2023
Alabama
I've got a 1970s Marlin 336 in 30-30, and a Browning BL-22.

Nice to see the Marlins being made again. They're pricey, but reportedly quite nice.

Fritz53

Veteran
Aug 15, 2021
Atmore
One of my favorites is my Winchester trapper takedown in 357 magnum . This is number 42 of 200.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

robertamcvay

Established Member
Feb 5, 2021
Athens
Prefer the Lever, wish I could get all of my rifles in Lever......
2 X Golden Boys
32 H&R Mag
30-30
35Rem
308MX (Marlin Express)
444Marlin