Need scope for deer rifle

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
I need a scope for my Howa 1500 in 308, used to hunt deer. I hunt in south Mississippi, and the longest shots are 300 yards. Most shots are under 200 yards. I do want a scope for low light, since the deer come out so late in the evening. I am hoping to spend no more than $500. I do not neet a long range scope with all types of bells and whistles, and adjustments. Just good glass. Maybe a lighted reticle. Thanks.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I know this is more of a fancy target scope than a hunting scope, but the turrets do lock
$270

Bushnell Match Pro Rifle Scope 6-24x50 30mm FFP Illum Deploy Mil Black

The only downside might be the weight. 29.8 OZ

You can get decent rings to mount for $60 or less

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I'd suggest sticking to the classic 3x9x50 design if you want something simple with good light transmission. Lots of people make em all over the price spectrum. My hunting rifle has an old Leupold Vari-X II that's held up great for the almost 25 years it's been on the rifle, so I can vouch for that make/model.

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
I'd suggest sticking to the classic 3x9x50 design if you want something simple with good light transmission. Lots of people make em all over the price spectrum. My hunting rifle has an old Leupold Vari-X II that's held up great for the almost 25 years it's been on the rifle, so I can vouch for that make/model.
Thanks.

Wooddux1

Established Member
Dec 24, 2021
Hueytown
I agree with 3x9 to 2.5x10 x 50 range. Numerous good choices out there. Vortex has several options 250 or less. Burris and Redfield as well. Best idea is to go to stores and look thru them and see which is clearest for you.

Tired old man

Established Member
Jul 2, 2022
Near Birmingham
Optics continue to improve. Things have come a long way since the Leupold 3x9 was the the cutting edge. These days I would look for something with an illuminated reticle. In heavy brush and low light times the illuminated dot or cross hair is a wonderful thing.

Lots of great options in your price range that perform very well. Sightron, Burris, Primary Arms all offer some new features and price.

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
I too, Like simple scopes with simple reticles!

But the OP complicated somethings by also wanting "low light transmission".
To me "low light transmission" means 30mm tube with a 50mm+ Objective Lens.

So if any of the above have both these qualities, Please point them out.
I may want to get one, too.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
I own 2 of these - Athlon scopes Argos BTR GEN2 6-24X50

They are solid and work fine for what they cost when I bought them. Athlon is a decent company
Their scopes do not have high end glass, there is some chromatic aberration and some edge clarity issues

If you are the type that will be bothered by lower end glass, do not buy them. Vortex has better glass for the most part.
That said, I have used the Argos to shoot targets to 1000 yards without any problems

Take a look at the Crossfire series

like this one

Vortex Crossfire II
4-12x44
Dead-Hold® BDC (MOA) Reticle |1inch Tube

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
Ooooo, I do like the Vortex:

CROSSFIRE® II

3-12X56 AO​

V-Brite® (MOA) Reticle | 30 mm Tube
Even like the reticle.

AND it fits everyone of the OPs needs!, too!

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Ooooo, I do like the Vortex:

CROSSFIRE® II

3-12X56 AO​

V-Brite® (MOA) Reticle | 30 mm Tube
Even like the reticle.

AND it fits everyone of the OPs needs!, too!
I dont know about the AO. But i have a crossfire 2 4x12x50 and its not worth having. It is very accurate but early in the morning just before daylight, or at sunset, you might as well walk on back to the truck when the sunsets if you are in the woods. Cause you won't be able to see nothing. Just my honest opinion. My Leupold Vx3 (older version) before the I and the HD it is a 3.5x10x50 and you can see incredible with it. I will say this like everyone else says "buy once, cry once". Just my opinion.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
I dont know about the AO. But i have a crossfire 2 4x12x50 and its not worth having. It is very accurate but early in the morning just before daylight, or at sunset, you might as well walk on back to the truck when the sunsets if you are in the woods. Cause you won't be able to see nothing. Just my honest opinion. My Leupold Vx3 (older version) before the I and the HD it is a 3.5x10x50 and you can see incredible with it. I will say this like everyone else says "buy once, cry once". Just my opinion.
My buddies that were hunting with me laughed when i told them I cant see that deer! And i handed them my rifle and took theirs they both had Nikons, and they said they had never seen anything like that. Couldnt see 30 yards in front of you with the Crossfire 2.

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
My buddies that were hunting with me laughed when i told them I cant see that deer! And i handed them my rifle and took theirs they both had Nikons, and they said they had never seen anything like that. Couldnt see 30 yards in front of you with the Crossfire 2.
What Nikon do they have? Thanks

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
If you wanted a professional opinion

Reach out to Doug at:

Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000
web site @ www.cameralandny.com

gr8fuldoug@aol.com

He knows his scopes, has decent pricing (will sell lower than what is posted on the website if you ask) and can be entertaining to talk to ;)
I reached out to Doug, but he is on vacation. So I spoke with Neil. Lots of good information. Thanks.

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
Thanks!!! Good to know.