Need scope for deer rifle

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
I’m looking at a great deal on a used Nikon M308. 4x16x42. Does anyone have any thoughts about a Nikon? Made in the Philippines.
I Seen my same buddy I was telling you about shoot a deer at 385 yards this season with an older nikon on a browning bar .270! Blew my mind. Literally. And i cussed him up and down because it took us 4 hours to get the buck out!. Nikon is good I.M.O. even though i like my leupold Vx-3 best.

uechikid

Established Member
May 27, 2023
Theodore
Any 3x9x40 scope will work great. Vortex makes great optics with a real lifetime guarantee. Depending on the model you choose, there are models that range from under $200 to, well, very expensive.

LatterVersion

Established Member
Dec 14, 2021
Huntsville
Low light means big objective, big tube low magnification multiplier. Glass quality becomes very important to resolve low contrast. Cheaper glass means lower performance in low light and long range.

I have used everything from cheap Vortex and Athlon to high end Leupold, Nightforce and Vortex Razor for low light shooting. To be honest there is a pretty substantial jump in performance around $1k in optics for low light and long range, and it is right where they transition to Japanese HD glass. In all other shooting conditions cheaper options work just fine out to 500 yards with basically no difference but low light is where quality really starts to matter.

Personally I really like the Vortex Razor LHT and Leopold Mark V. The Leupold Mark 3HD and Mark 4HD are also great and can be found slightly above your price range if you shop around or wait for a sale.

Pillpeddler

Established Member
Sep 16, 2021
Anniston
The advice to call doug at cameraland is good advice.
1. Get a scope with a low end magnification, no higher than 4 power. Preferably 2.5-3. And a max zoom of no more than 14.
2. A good visible reticle is more than sufficient. Something in a #4 reticle would be really nice or an etched reticle in the old Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 is a perfect scope for your application.
3. 300 yards does not require big zoom power. An 8-9 power magnification is plenty.
4. I have the zeiss conquest 3-9x40 duplex reticle on my 308. I can see well past ahooting light and the thick portion of the post, below the crosshair, corresponds spot on for 300 yards at full zoom.
5. Another option is a trijicon with the fiber optic illumination.
If you can find a decent VXR leupold that has the leupold illuminated dot is also a good option.
6. No need for a 30 mm scope. Just will be unnecessarily heavy.

Pillpeddler

Established Member
Sep 16, 2021
Anniston
Hope you got the GPO. Lot of scope for the money. I hope you didn’t get a low end Vortex. Their reticles disappear in low light.
It boggles my mind why someone would recommend vortex crossfires when you have a $500 budget. Also stay away from Zeiss Terra’s. Just paying for the Zeiss name in that line.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Hope you got the GPO. Lot of scope for the money. I hope you didn’t get a low end Vortex. Their reticles disappear in low light.
It boggles my mind why someone would recommend vortex crossfires when you have a $500 budget. Also stay away from Zeiss Terra’s. Just paying for the Zeiss name in that line.
Thank you sir. Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks you cant see out of crossfire in low light.

Bakrai

Established Member
Aug 13, 2020
Harvest
I need a scope for my Howa 1500 in 308, used to hunt deer. I hunt in south Mississippi, and the longest shots are 300 yards. Most shots are under 200 yards. I do want a scope for low light, since the deer come out so late in the evening. I am hoping to spend no more than $500. I do not neet a long range scope with all types of bells and whistles, and adjustments. Just good glass. Maybe a lighted reticle. Thanks.
Leopold

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
I bought two scopes. A Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3x9x40 off of ebay. New in box. And a Nikon M308 4x16x42 from a member of another forum. Both scopes mounted and have been to the range. Still working on our accuracy, but the guns and scopes should do the trick.