Please Talk me Through a LPVO Purchase

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
I currently have a Sig Romeo with a 2moa dot on my AR pistol. It's great for practicing short engagements with human sized targets but the dot is imprecise when trying to engage at 100+ yards. No magnification, the dot obscures the smaller aiming points, etc. Is it possible to get the best of both worlds-a both eyes open, quickly acquired dot for close engagements and a good reticle for 100-300 yards? I've watched a number of you-tube reviews but I'd like to hear an un-monetized opinion or two. Thanks!

wav3rhythm

Established Member
Sep 10, 2021
Huntsville
You’re never going to find an LVPO that’s as good as a red dot up close. I’d say the best LVPOs are about 85% as good though.

What’s your budget? I’m partial to Khales in a 1-6x.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I can probably allow myself something in the $600 range
If you're patient and can wait for a sale I'd say step up to a Vortex Viper PST Gen II; that's what I've got an it's great. Also heard good things about the Burris RT-6; supposedly the best LVPO under $500 but I don't know that for sure. They usually go on sale with the P.E.P.R mount for around $300-350.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
If you're patient and can wait for a sale I'd say step up to a Vortex Viper PST Gen II; that's what I've got an it's great. Also heard good things about the Burris RT-6; supposedly the best LVPO under $500 but I don't know that for sure. They usually go on sale with the P.E.P.R mount for around $300-350.
I was just looking at both of those options on SWFA. I can definitely be patient on this one-just had to drop a couple handfuls of cash on a new couch

SouthernGunner13

Established Member
Feb 8, 2021
I acquired (because I won't pay that much) a Trijicon LPVO and I love it!
If I were to buy one it would probably be either a Votex or a Primary Arms. It depends on whether you want an FFP or a SFP. Pros and cons to both.
Either way, I'll take an LPVO with a "throw lever" on it over a red dot with magnifier.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
I acquired (because I won't pay that much) a Trijicon LPVO and I love it!
If I were to buy one it would probably be either a Votex or a Primary Arms. It depends on whether you want an FFP or a SFP. Pros and cons to both.
Either way, I'll take an LPVO with a "throw lever" on it over a red dot with magnifier.
That reminds me that I really need to get a throw lever for my Viper. FYI the magnification knob is REALLY tight on them (mine at least) making a throw lever pretty much a necessity.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
To add to this, you can find people selling glass in the r/gunaccessoriesforsale subreddit. It's where I bought my Vortex Viper 1-6 for $480 there and it came with the throw lever (retails for around $50 by itself normally). This guy is selling one with an ADM mount for $475, which is a pretty good deal imo. The glass on it is pretty close to a Gen 2 Razor 1-6 for far less and ADM mounts are generally well regarded. Just gonna let you know up front though that this setup is considered heavy in the LPVO arena (about 29 oz I think).

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
To add to this, you can find people selling glass in the r/gunaccessoriesforsale subreddit. It's where I bought my Vortex Viper 1-6 for $480 there and it came with the throw lever (retails for around $50 by itself normally). This guy is selling one with an ADM mount for $475, which is a pretty good deal imo. The glass on it is pretty close to a Gen 2 Razor 1-6 for far less and ADM mounts are generally well regarded. Just gonna let you know up front though that this setup is considered heavy in the LPVO arena (about 29 oz I think).
$475 for a Viper 1-6 on an American Defense mount is a really good deal. Mine was about 640-650 altogether with a LaRue mount.

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Just received a Primary Arms 1-6 SFP scope. Too bad my AR pistol that I bought it for is going to become illegal in about 6 months or so.