Potential scammer

v2comp

Jan 11, 2024
Phenix City, AL
About 30 minutes ago I got a text message from someone with a New York State and his choice of phrasing led me to believe that he wasn't legit. Basically asking the wrong questions or at least weird questions related to the 270 BAR I have listed elsewhere. I guess my question is do you regularly have people trying to scam you on the classified forums? And if so, what are they hoping you will do? I blocked the number but it started with 718 as the area code.

chefguy

Established Member
Dec 9, 2023
Athens, Alabama
I have found that using the message system for the initial contact works best. Switch to email or text once I’m replying to a legit buyer or seller. Yes, there are scammer sellers out there too looking for your number. Be careful out there!

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
chefguy has it right. On my other gun forums, this kind of reported scammer activity is common. Scammers using fake profiles will join the group but they are normally fairly easy to pick out if you just pay attention to warning signs and use a little common-sense caution.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Scammers are certainly a common threat. Thorough due diligence is the key and also in person deals.

The phone number can be a type but it’s easy to setup a 256 or 205 number. I personally have a 910 number but have lived in Alabama since 2020.