Red Dot Vs Green Dot

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
I have several of both, can't say that I have a preference for either one. I also have a few handguns/shotguns with fiber optic front sights, and for some reason I strongly prefer green over red for those.

forrestcannon

Established Member
Aug 12, 2023
Ohatchee
They say that your eyes can pick up the green dot better outdoors, or so I've heard. I myself have mainly always used red dots. But after using a pistol red dot I did notice the dot being fuzzy at times or trails. Not sure if some sorta astigmatism or the dot, so I think I will try green dot to see of that fixes things.

Oldort58

Established Member
Sep 19, 2023
Decatur
They say that your eyes can pick up the green dot better outdoors, or so I've heard. I myself have mainly always used red dots. But after using a pistol red dot I did notice the dot being fuzzy at times or trails. Not sure if some sorta astigmatism or the dot, so I think I will try green dot to see of that fixes things.
I have astigmatism as well so to me the green is less of a starburst than the red. Hope that helps.

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
The human eye does see green light better than any other color (it's why night vision is traditionally green) but green dots usually cost more than red dots and I personally don't think the price difference is worth it.

Plainsman

Established Member
Oct 24, 2023
Calhoun County
I have never been able to see red or orange very well. I've never owned a red dot but I bought a Holosun SCS MOS which only comes in green. I think I will like it. Green is seen better than red in general I believe. It is also supposed to be better for older people with eye problems.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I can’t tell much difference in them but maybe some improvement with a dot vs other reticles. I have an amber acog I like surprisingly well.

condoor

Premium Member
Jan 24, 2024
Alabaster
I just recently got my first green dot and don't have enough time behind it to tell yet, but wanted to try it because people say that green is marginally better for those with an astigmatism.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
I dunno. I use a green dot to shoot USPSA outdoors and a red dot for IDPA indoor matches. I can't really tell a difference.

BeardedNative

Established Member
Oct 24, 2022
Cullman,AL
As most of us age (me being one of those) I have found that the Green Dot optics dont blur when utilizing them. I also cant make out the reticle with Red Dot's at night, it looks like all these new HID headlights and its all just a blur. I will no longer buy Red, but Green from now on so as the be more versatile in my aging years.