something smells fishy

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I would respond to him that you are willing to send more pics. However, since he is an out-of-state resident he would have to pay for an FFL transfer. If he's a scammer, that will put him off.
This is the safe answer

Lee

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Birmingham
Know with absolute confidence the alphabet boys are here, whether this FL guy is alphabet fishing or not.

While the AFT says you are not to buy or sell across state lines without an FFL, they do say you are not required to ask for or show ID proving state residency. In this case, he has already said he's out of state. No offense, but one would be a special kind of stupid to sell to this guy without an FFL. Federal penalty is up to 5 years and up to $5k fine plus possible state charges. Worst part tho is the felony on your record. AFT would love to "felonize" ALL the good gun guys.

Shocker

Established Member
Mar 26, 2023
Bibb Co
Know with absolute confidence the alphabet boys are here, whether this FL guy is alphabet fishing or not.

While the AFT says you are not to buy or sell across state lines without an FFL, they do say you are not required to ask for or show ID proving state residency. In this case, he has already said he's out of state. No offense, but one would be a special kind of stupid to sell to this guy without an FFL. Federal penalty is up to 5 years and up to $5k fine plus possible state charges. Worst part tho is the felony on your record. AFT would love to "felonize" ALL the good gun guys.
Unless you're crackhead Hunter Biden.

kwb377

Established Member
Dec 16, 2019
B'ham
No offense, but one would be a special kind of stupid to sell to this guy without an FFL.

No offense at all, and I agree. I deleted the email without even considering a response. No way someone is making a 10 hour / 570 mile round trip for a common, budget AR.

Last edited:

discovery

Established Member
Dec 14, 2023
North Central Al
I had a new member here, who wanted a pistol I had listed. First bad vibe was the willingness to drive 3.5 hrs for a common, $4-450 pistol. We continued talking/text, learning he recently return to his hometown/family here in Alabama having moved away for a number of years for college, military, work.

I killed the deal after learning he still had an out of state driver’s license.

He was pretty pissed, but not today Mr AFT man.

I’d say after the member here from Bham that was raided, and the similarities with the guy from Little Rock they just killed; Yes, they are hunting us, more so those who fill out a lot of 4473 on a weekly/monthly basis.

Chikn

Established Member
Sep 2, 2023
Opp
Anyone fill out a 4473, then end up getting federal jury notice.......TWICE IN A ROW in two years.
2- 4473s, 2- jury notices.

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
Anyone fill out a 4473, then end up getting federal jury notice.......TWICE IN A ROW in two years.
2- 4473s, 2- jury notices.
Don't forget to bone up on jury nullification. If you want off the jury, talk about it as soon as you get to the courthouse. If you want to make a difference, keep it to yourself until deliberations.

Henry Bowman

Sep 1, 2023
West Blocton
I had a new member here, who wanted a pistol I had listed. First bad vibe was the willingness to drive 3.5 hrs for a common, $4-450 pistol. We continued talking/text, learning he recently return to his hometown/family here in Alabama having moved away for a number of years for college, military, work.

I killed the deal after learning he still had an out of state driver’s license.

He was pretty pissed, but not today Mr AFT man.

I’d say after the member here from Bham that was raided, and the similarities with the guy from Little Rock they just killed; Yes, they are hunting us, more so those who fill out a lot of 4473 on a weekly/monthly basis.
I completely understand, I do. This reminded me of when I moved here from Colorado. LOL, I didn't change my license over until it was going to expire.

tbk5

Established Member
Jun 21, 2018
Springville, AL
I believe that Alabama law stipulates that out of state driver's license and auto registrations must be transferred within 30 days of moving into the state.

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Utterly unenforceable as a person can have residences in more than one State.

Bullying for tax revenues. The hallmark of Bureaucrats gone wild.
You can certainly "own" residences in more than one state. However, only ONE state is considered your "resident" state. There is no definitive test to determine which state that is. Rather it is a collection of facts and circumstances such as driver's license, homestead exemption, voting registration, auto registration, etc.

Old Dog

Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
Alabama
I had an individual email me this morning concerning an AR I have listed here and Armslist. He claims to live in Panama City, FL and since it would be somewhat of a drive to come pick it up wanted me to send more pics.

It's just a M&P15 with an aftermarket handguard...not anything special or rare. I find it odd that he wants to make a 10 hour round trip to buy something that surely could be found much closer for about the same price. I figure it's either:

- A scam/robbery attempt, or...

- ATF fishing for people selling to out-of-state residents.

I trashed it without rescinding. Anyone else get a similar contact lately?

edit to add:
Just say NO-safest solution