Suppressor info

DD_Dinosaur

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
South Alabama
If one is going sbout to get a suppressor, what would be the best option? Doing a single shot trust, single shot unlimited, or nfa traditional trust.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
It really depends on what you intend to do with it. The individual option is the simplest and you can always create a broader trust later. I choose the individual option for my first one but likely will setup a trust at a later date.

I recently went through the process with bullet & barrel in Huntsville. Everything was done at a kiosk in their store and then finalized by end of week online. Currently just short of 2 months into the waiting process which hopefully is around 3 months.

DD_Dinosaur

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
South Alabama
It really depends on what you intend to do with it. The individual option is the simplest and you can always create a broader trust later. I choose the individual option for my first one but likely will setup a trust at a later date.

I recently went through the process with bullet & barrel in Huntsville. Everything was done at a kiosk in their store and then finalized by end of week online. Currently just short of 2 months into the waiting process which hopefully is around 3 months.
But woth the individual don't you have to turn around and pay for the stamp again to transfer it to a trust?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
But woth the individual don't you have to turn around and pay for the stamp again to transfer it to a trust?
That’s not my understanding as I asked that question during my process back in June. Certainly if you know you want a trust early on then I don’t think it hurts to go that way as it just takes a little more time/effort upfront. It just wasn’t that important to me. Plus I plan on likely getting a number of additional suppressors down the road and likely will set up a trust then. This was my first attempt at the class 3 world so I’m certainly still learning.

I’m far from a lawyer or playing one at work though, so it’s probably better to seek legal advice on things like a trust.

Sumblakdude

Established Member
Aug 4, 2022
Birmingham
If you set up as an individual then want to do a trust later on you would have to pay $200 tax stamp as the trust is what the NFA item will be tied to.

Difference between the single shot and unlimited trust are how many NFA items. A single shot is one item. Unlimited is as it states. If I’m not mistaken you would need 4+ NFA items before the single shot trust would be more expensive than doing the unlimited. So if you are only going to buy 3 NFA items or less then the single shot is cheaper. The traditional trust is same as unlimited shot it’s just not thru silencer shop

DD_Dinosaur

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
South Alabama
You can do a traditional nfa trust through silencer shop. It's the same price as the unlimited so I was just trying to figure which one I wanted to do

Sumblakdude

Established Member
Aug 4, 2022
Birmingham
You can do a traditional nfa trust through silencer shop. It's the same price as the unlimited so I was just trying to figure which one I wanted to do
Here’s a link explaining the different trust. If doing 5 or more (per the link) would want to do unlimited or traditional. Although unlimited is more convenient

DD_Dinosaur

Established Member
Oct 25, 2020
South Alabama
Here’s a link explaining the different trust. If doing 5 or more (per the link) would want to do unlimited or traditional. Although unlimited is more convenient

Yea I looked at that. Wouldn't an unlimited make it more annoying since each item would have a different trust name

Sumblakdude

Established Member
Aug 4, 2022
Birmingham
Yea I looked at that. Wouldn't an unlimited make it more annoying since each item would have a different trust name
I guess it would depend on how many people are on the trust. For an unlimited you’re only person that has to submit fingerprints. On a traditional everyone has to and any additional will have to submit. I’d trade having a different trust name vs having to get prints from multiple people.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
If one is going sbout to get a suppressor, what would be the best option? Doing a single shot trust, single shot unlimited, or nfa traditional trust.
If you plan on being the only one using it, and no plans on having someone else use it with any regularity outside of your presence (i.e., no spouse, siblings, in-laws, etc), then just go with the individual route. The traditional trust is the more flexible but requires some setup. The best route for a traditional trust imo is National Gun Trusts. They have a ton of videos and walk-throughs on their website, and they are WAY cheaper than finding the few lawyers in-state that can do the same thing. I had a lawyer in the Mobile area quote me around $1300 to make one. The people behind National Gun Trusts will also answer your emails pretty much 24/7. All that said, if you essentially plan to be the only one using it, I would consider a single-shot trust from Silencer Shop just for simplicity. Before e-form 4s were a thing, it was definitely the simplest way to go about things. Nowadays, that's questionable since every FFL has access to e-forms now, and Silencer Shop has had, let's say, a few bumps in the road with their software. The single-shot trust still let's you add someone onto the trust for that item later, but you will only ever have that one NFA item on that trust. It can be a management nightmare if you have 7 NFA items on several single-shot trusts and have to do the same stuff repeatedly to add/remove a co-trustee or beneficiary for each of those items.

I personally went with a single-shot trust for the first suppressor I bought. Everything else, I've acquired since then has gone on a traditional trust just so my wife has one less thing to freak out about after I'm gone. I'll eventually transfer the suppressor too.

plato

Established Member
Sep 19, 2023
Pelham
what is the difference between all 3? i’m hoping to buy a suppressor soon but the process seems really convoluted…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyRooster

Established Member
Sep 16, 2023
Birmingham
what is the difference between all 3? i’m hoping to buy a suppressor soon but the process seems really convoluted…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a complete answer to your question, but the difference between something like a Single Shot and a "traditional" NFA trust is that a single shot can ONLY have one item in it - that silencer. It's also a little rigid on the options you have to set it up. The upside is that it's very convenient and cheap. The traditional trust is a little more comprehensive and has more options for you on the setup. You can also add items to it in the future.

A big consideration on this is the "responsible person" aspect. Are you familiar with the rules about "responsible persons" in the trust?