The One(s) That Got Away?

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
We likely all have at least one: an arm that, in retrospect, perhaps should have remained with us.

I have a few, but came across a pic of this one that got me to thinking. It’s a Smith & Wesson 28-2 .357 Magnum to which some enterprising soul attached a 3-1/2” barrel from a Model 27. They also bobbed the hammer, upgraded the front sight to a blade with a gold bead, installed the rear sight rib / leaf (I’m not sure of the correct term) from the 27 to preserve some of that Model’s famed topstrap checkering, and coated it in a durable black finish. The gun had to have had some internal work performed, too, as it had a very smooth action.

I don’t think the person I bought it from fully-realized what they had. One can argue that perhaps neither did I, as I eventually sold it in favor of another shiny-shiny.

Anyone else?

1641424111846.jpeg

1641424140424.jpeg

1641424165411.jpeg

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Wow, that was a nice gun. The one I regret getting rid of was my USP .40; it was super accurate and, unbeknownst to me at the time, could have been converted to 10mm with a barrel swap and a mag change. If I still had it that's probably what I would've done with it and made it my innawoods carry gun.

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
Too many. I used to have the bad habit of trading pistols all the time.

Just to name a few:

West German made 226
Ruger Vaquero (.45LC)
Colt 1911

There have been others...

Remmy21

Established Member
Jan 11, 2022
Fort rucker
My biggest gun regret ever was not buying a spas 12. So for reference Jurassic park is my favorite movie. I was a 16 year old kid walking into the gun store to buy 8mm for my yugo Mauser and seeing a spas 12 with the folding stock. I asked the guys there to hold it because that is my dream gun. It was super bulky but just had the cool factor. I looked at the price tag and it was 1200. I mean at that time, that’s how much my car was. Definitely didn’t have that kind of money. Now they go for about 4 grand each if not more and that was like 12 years ago. At least my wife knows if I see one with a folding stock for that price there is no discussion, I’m definitely getting it.

Davyalabama

Established Member
Jan 7, 2022
Pike Road
I know this is a long gun, but it is one that got away. My uncle had a Remington model 58 sportsman, he sold it because the hi/low knob broke. This was before the internet, he didn't think he could find a knob. I loved that gun, it was a shooter/pointer just like the 1100. Anyone have one they want to get rid of?

theothermikeg

Established Member
Jan 19, 2022
Birmingham
Damn East German Makarov. :) It was combat accurate and would fire under any and all conditions. I think I paid $250 for it. If I still had it though I'd be pissed off about having to pay .50 a round for 9x18.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
Re: the Makarovs - once upon a time (I’m thinking 25-ish years ago or more), didn’t those often sell with a leather flap-style military holster that included a magazine pouch right ON the holster? I may be misremembering this…

Mugi-wara

Established Member
Jan 3, 2022
NW Bama
I believe that some of them may have, but I am no expert on the Makarov. There have been various importers and country of origin, so the possible configurations are pretty varied to say the least.

Fritz53

Veteran
Aug 15, 2021
Atmore
My biggest gun regret ever was not buying a spas 12. So for reference Jurassic park is my favorite movie. I was a 16 year old kid walking into the gun store to buy 8mm for my yugo Mauser and seeing a spas 12 with the folding stock. I asked the guys there to hold it because that is my dream gun. It was super bulky but just had the cool factor. I looked at the price tag and it was 1200. I mean at that time, that’s how much my car was. Definitely didn’t have that kind of money. Now they go for about 4 grand each if not more and that was like 12 years ago. At least my wife knows if I see one with a folding stock for that price there is no discussion, I’m definitely getting it.
If you are serious Canoe Creek Armory here in Atmore has one. Check them out on Facebook.

Fritz53

Veteran
Aug 15, 2021
Atmore
I was in Cabelas in Louisiana and every time I went there I headed to the fine gun room. This particular time there it was a Parker 410 side by side. It was abused to say the least but the bones were still there. They wanted $535.00 for it. I passed and wished I hadn’t. This gun could have been restored by Turnbull for several grand but finished it would have brought no telling what. They are going for $30,00.00 on guns international. Oh well.

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
There are several I wish I had back. I was about 14, my uncle had a stroke and after that would have violent episodes. My aunt asked if I wanted his P38 he brought back after WWII. Of course, I said yes. It was matching serial numbers, with a matching numbered Nazi issue holster, and 2 matching number mags. The cleaning kit, the complete package. I borrowed $35 from my grandmother to buy it. My mistake was not telling my parents. My mother found it in my room and made me return it. One of my other uncles got it and wouldn't sell it for anything.
I'll do two. The other is an H&R Ultra Sidekick Model 939, .22LR. Bought it from a friend in the 11th grade for $30 (1971). That was the first one I bought that I kept. Man, I put many, many rounds through that one. Kept it a few years then sold or traded it, I don't remember.

Bama55

Established Member
Oct 10, 2021
Woodstock, AL
We likely all have at least one: an arm that, in retrospect, perhaps should have remained with us.

I have a few, but came across a pic of this one that got me to thinking. It’s a Smith & Wesson 28-2 .357 Magnum to which some enterprising soul attached a 3-1/2” barrel from a Model 27. They also bobbed the hammer, upgraded the front sight to a blade with a gold bead, installed the rear sight rib / leaf (I’m not sure of the correct term) from the 27 to preserve some of that Model’s famed topstrap checkering, and coated it in a durable black finish. The gun had to have had some internal work performed, too, as it had a very smooth action.

I don’t think the person I bought it from fully-realized what they had. One can argue that perhaps neither did I, as I eventually sold it in favor of another shiny-shiny.

Anyone else?

View attachment 4355

View attachment 4356

View attachment 4357
They used to call that a "Poor Mans 27". That one is beautiful. Back in the 70's you could do that one for under $300. Now it would be well over $1K. I have one that will probably be the closest I will come to a 3 1/2" 27. It is a nickeled 1936 .38/.44 Heavy-Duty that someone had the barrel cut to 3 1/2". It has a date stamped on the grip frame, so I don't know if the factory did the work or not. I am sending to get a letter from S&W on it.

4CERTN

Established Member
Feb 2, 2016
Alabama
They used to call that a "Poor Mans 27". That one is beautiful. Back in the 70's you could do that one for under $300. Now it would be well over $1K. I have one that will probably be the closest I will come to a 3 1/2" 27. It is a nickeled 1936 .38/.44 Heavy-Duty that someone had the barrel cut to 3 1/2". It has a date stamped on the grip frame, so I don't know if the factory did the work or not. I am sending to get a letter from S&W on it.

Ooo, those .38/44 HDs are NICE!