Thoughts on 1.93" or higher red dot mounts?

Earl

Established Member
Nov 18, 2017
Florence, Alabama
I've been looking into tall mounts like scalarworks leap, unity fast and midwest industries night vision height. Anyone use these tall mounts? Are there any good options other than these? Pros and cons?

Dfalt

Established Member
Mar 13, 2021
Troy, AL
Are you going to be shooting under NODs using passive aiming? If not, skip them because they're insane height-over-bore is unnecessary otherwise.

Xero

Established Member
May 20, 2021
Auburn
If you're not a prone shooter or even spend much time shooting in the prone, having a 1.7" height mount up to a 1.93" is really nice as far as not having so much tension in your neck area. The absolute cowitness mounts force me to hunch down to get a consistent sight picture. It really depends on what height allows you to have a natural cheek weld or positioning so that you don't have a lot of tension while having the rifle mounted.

Of course, none of this really matters if you don't shoot much. For short periods of time, I can make any height mount work.

Earl

Established Member
Nov 18, 2017
Florence, Alabama
The other day i was curious where my line of sight would be if i shouldered the rifle without ducking my head down to find the sights. I was looking just over the elevation adjustment on top of the romeo 5, it's mounted at absolute cowitness. Unity has a print out that can be cut out and folded to make a mock up of the mount. I'll prabably try that to see what i think of the height.

LatterVersion

Established Member
Dec 14, 2021
Huntsville
I used to think that the high mounts were a trendy waste of time. I got a 1.93 for shooting with NODs and now I really don't want to shoot with anything shorter on AR platforms. At least for CQB and short range <200yards I really prefer the higher sight height with a chin weld. But on my long range guns I still tuck the scope as low as I can to minimize height over bore, and I adjust the riser until I put my full head weight on the comb.

Definitely try it out, it is worth the time to check if you like it.