Turkey Hunting Shotgun Discussion

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
I was thinking about turkey hunting with the family this year and I know alot of people use ether 12 or 20 guage turkey load. What about .410 or other guages? Are they just too impractical for turkey? Also was told about useing turkey chokes but my stuff is too old to use chokes so do I really need one?

RaySendero

Established Member
Feb 5, 2024
USsouth
My idea of a dedicated shotgun for turkeys is:
1) 3" 12 gauge - You'll get enough gun and many more choices for ammo.
2) Rib with double bead sights - You will want to "AIM", not point, a turkey gun.

Glassman256

Established Member
Jul 27, 2020
Sylacauga Alabama
Tri Star 410 semi auto...is a great Turkey gun there are different Turkey chokes on the market for them. The TSS #9 shoots out 45-60 yrs with no problem on a kill with the right choke....good luck on your turkey hunts

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
Always carried my 10 gauge single barrel, have bagged many with it.
Got a double barrel 10 too but it’s heavier than I want to tote.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
Always carried my 10 gauge single barrel, have bagged many with it.
Got a double barrel 10 too but it’s heavier than I want to tote.
I'm looking around for a certain 10 guage my self. I wasn't sure if 10 gauge was too much or not.

DixieReb

Established Member
Jan 31, 2021
Andalusia AL
I always wanted one of the 10 gauge Browning pump action shotguns but have never seen one for sale in my area. And it’s probably heavier than I’d want to carry. The single barrel I’ve had for 30+ years has never let me down.

jeffalgol

Established Member
Jan 14, 2023
Bessemer
I always wanted one of the 10 gauge Browning pump action shotguns but have never seen one for sale in my area. And it’s probably heavier than I’d want to carry. The single barrel I’ve had for 30+ years has never let me down.
I'm looking for a J.C Higgins bolt action 10 gauge myself to add to my others. I think they make them but I've never seen one.