Weatherby Vanguard

DoyleAlley

Established Member
Sep 15, 2022
Rainbow City, Al
Back about 15 years ago, you could pick one up at Walmart when they had their after-season hunting clearance for $299. My buddy (who is a pretty fair garage gunsmith) bought one, put an inexpensive scope on it, and sighed it in. We took the target out to close to 400 yds (the longest cow pasture we had available) and using a set of shooting stick while sitting on a rusty chair I watched him put 4 shots into a circle that your hand would cover. So yes, they can be very decent rifles.

In a related story, another friend bought one that wouldn't group for crap. He brought it to that first guy (the garage gunsmith) to see if he could find anything wrong. Well, it turned out that when the stock was molded, the inletting for the action was not quite right. I seem to recall it either being uneven or some extra material needed to be removed - something like that. After getting the inletting right and bedding the action correctly, that rifle also started shooting great groups.

gejshooter

Established Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mandeville, LA
Back about 15 years ago, you could pick one up at Walmart when they had their after-season hunting clearance for $299. My buddy (who is a pretty fair garage gunsmith) bought one, put an inexpensive scope on it, and sighed it in. We took the target out to close to 400 yds (the longest cow pasture we had available) and using a set of shooting stick while sitting on a rusty chair I watched him put 4 shots into a circle that your hand would cover. So yes, they can be very decent rifles.

In a related story, another friend bought one that wouldn't group for crap. He brought it to that first guy (the garage gunsmith) to see if he could find anything wrong. Well, it turned out that when the stock was molded, the inletting for the action was not quite right. I seem to recall it either being uneven or some extra material needed to be removed - something like that. After getting the inletting right and bedding the action correctly, that rifle also started shooting great groups.
Thanks for your reply.

bamajim31

Mar 5, 2024
Warrior, AL
I have one in 30-06 that will shoot as good as I can hold it. The first deer I took with it was at 200 hundred yards and the shot was right on the money. I doubt you could find a better or more accurate rifle in it's price range.