Anyone into Browning A5s?

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
I have a few and generally love them. I was at Larry’s today (generally a mistake for my wallet) and was very surprised to see a nice original condition light 12 with vent rib on the back wall. Based on the serial number it was made in 1965.

They accepted my low ball offer to my surprise, so I have another one at a nice low price. :)

Hpgc

Established Member
May 27, 2019
NE Alabama
Very nice! I like hearing about good deals these days. Not so much into A5s but more of a casual observer.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Good deals are few and far between these days.

Larry’s was extremely busy for 10:30am on a Thursday morning and people were buying.

SMOKEEATERFF

Established Member
Sep 18, 2022
Troy, AL
Beautiful shotguns. I bought a Remington model 11 from gunbroker several years ago and chopped the barrel down to 18”. I want to sbs it but haven’t spent the money on the stupid tax stamp.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Thanks. The Remington 11 is almost identical to an A5. They are nice shotguns.

As a collector of A5s I do have a little pain when someone tells me they cut the barrel down. The challenges of collectors vs practical users. :)

wood2160

Established Member
Jul 31, 2022
Mobile
never owned one, but I’ve always been a fan of them for some reason. Shot one a time or two and liked it, just never broke down and bought one.

Yancey007

Established Member
Mar 3, 2021
Helena
I have a few and generally love them. I was at Larry’s today (generally a mistake for my wallet) and was very surprised to see a nice original condition light 12 with vent rib on the back wall. Based on the serial number it was made in 1965.

They accepted my low ball offer to my surprise, so I have another one at a nice low price. :)
So what is that nice low price?

aftac19

Established Member
Sep 23, 2022
Huntsville
I am looking for a shotgun for skeet. I have been shooting some with others and I have looked at and used the Franchi 3.5 Affinity and the PX has one and no interest in 12 months and no payments for 6...but also looking at A5's and Beretta 1301 Competition because 24 inches is not far from 26/28 I see in alot of skeet, but I can use it in other venues.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Any of those will work well for skeet. Of course O/Us are the most common you will see used. I personally use a browning Citori O/U. My son though prefers an A5 I picked up many years ago that had the barrel modified back in the 1960s for skeet. It’s very effective. Main thing is to have the right choke setup for skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Good deals are few and far between these days.

Larry’s was extremely busy for 10:30am on a Thursday morning and people were buying.
You just have to know how to look for the good deals. I have come up on some amazing deals you wouldnt believe on GB because nobody else bidded.

Goosebuster

Established Member
Apr 22, 2023
Piedmont
$600 for that light 12 w/ vent rib in excellent condition
I love the old browning shotguns, A5's are legendary. My grandmother won a sweet 16 at a raffle back years before I was born and I have it now. I would love to get a light 12 like what you found for $600, thats a great price!

DuaneW

Established Member
Jun 1, 2021
Talladega County
Any of those will work well for skeet. Of course O/Us are the most common you will see used. I personally use a browning Citori O/U. My son though prefers an A5 I picked up many years ago that had the barrel modified back in the 1960s for skeet. It’s very effective. Main thing is to have the right choke setup for skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc
I am in a sporting clay shooting group, we shoot at the CMP range and we have 10 members. Most of us are 55 plus years old and we shoot semi automatics because of the recoil. We generally shoot 2 rounds which can be up to 200 shots per person and my over and under just beats me up too much. We have 4 in our group that shoot the Beretta A300 and the recoil is very light. I have bought one now and really love it. I have screws in my shoulder from a previous injury and I truly believe this new shotgun is a game changer. I sold several of my over and under shotguns but I’m keeping a Citori that my Dad gave me the first year they came out.

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
They will negotiate some depending on the details. I’ve purchased a number of handguns (several new sig legion models) and several long guns (mostly used like the A5 above) from them. I’ve generally got some discount with more significant levels on the used firearms. With the new ones mostly the taxes have been taken off, which isn’t terrible.

Can’t hurt to ask as worse they can do is say no.