Anyone into Browning A5s?

mhobtr

Established Member
Dec 15, 2016
Birmingham
If anyone is interested, I have a 16 ga made in 1939 I would sell.

Nice shotgun and shoots well but not all correct. Been a while since I looked at it but the barrel is incorrect and the wood that came on it was wrong so I replaced the stock and forearm with closer to correct. The trigger group is a later model with the push button safety but I also have the original with the slide safety.

hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
I collected Auto 5s for quite a while, reworked a few, and talked regularly with HM Shirley about them. Sold down to 4-5 after Mr Shirley passed.

hh4whiskey

Established Member
Jan 29, 2016
Union Grove
From collecting. I had some unique A5s, and he and Mr. Vanderlinden signed a copy of the first run to me. You know, Mr.Shirley once told me he’d owned over 3k Auto 5s in his lifetime. He was a wealth of cool and funny stories about Auto 5s, writing the book, and visits with Browning.
…….and I live on Brindlee Mountain, too.;)

Last edited:

Drcrimson

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Arab
Oh yeah just down the road from stormy Arab tonight. I can’t say I’ve owned anywhere near 3k but I’ve used that book many times to understand an A5 I’ve run across. I got interested in them by somewhat of an accident as I use to see them frequently in Pennsylvania auctions when I lived in that area. Eventually I grew to truly appreciate them as well as becoming a frequent buyer.