Glenfield mod 20 (Marlin model 80/780) ejector removal help

Mike C.

Established Member
May 1, 2023
Huntsville, AL
I've got a Glenfield model 20 (same as the Marlin 80 or 780) that's nearly as old as I am, and it's ejector is failing. I can get replacement parts, but the ejector (part 11) is held on by the Takedown Screw Stud (part 48). The stud is just screwed into the receiver, but I don't know if it's normal or reverse threaded (since the takedown screw screws into the stud & you really don't want the stud to come out instead of the screw).

I've tried bending the ejector back into position, but it's clearly fatiguing. I've tried going at the stud with pliers, leaving penetrating oil on it overnight, and hitting it with a torch (real gentle-like though, since I don't know how much is too much). About the only idea I have now is cutting a slot into it for a big screwdriver bit and using a breaker bar which...seems like there should be a saner way. Any better idea for getting this ole girl back into service?

Glenfield model 20 ejector.png

Mike C.

Established Member
May 1, 2023
Huntsville, AL
The answer turned out to be "moar daka": a self-tightening pipe wrench, and another night in penetrating oil. The Takedown Screw Stud is normally threaded, *not* reverse threaded, so every time you tighten the takedown screw, you also tighten the stud. Along with 50 years of being assembled, it was pretty tight.

Last edited: