Gun oil

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
What is the slickest oil, synthetic lube there is. I need to change up. And does anyone use G-96 ? What do you consider is the best.

kenny1773

Established Member
Nov 28, 2018
Birmingham
buy an oil bottle and fill it

I can't argue with lots of other good gun oil products out there
Lucas is good
Hoppes is good
Frog Lube is good

If you are sticking to a reputable name, none of it is bad.

I have used mobil oil in my cars since 1989, and while that product has gone through many changes in base oils and additives over the years, I have taken several cars to 200k plus miles that never burned a drop of oil

I have used it on ARs for at least a decade, never had any issues. I am not a combat fighter, so YMMV, but I can shoot a few hundred rounds in an outing and not stop to lube or even think about it or worry about it. Clean and lube when I get home

Do you want to pay $14 for 4 oz?

I always have a half quart of mobil sitting around, I even put that stuff in my lawn mower. Buy with rebate you can get 5 quarts for $12 (rebate is going on now)

Rubicon

Established Member
Dec 28, 2020
North Alabama
What is the slickest oil, synthetic lube there is. I need to change up. And does anyone use G-96 ? What do you consider is the best.
Motor oil. Not only has it been thoroughly researched for high temp use, there are a variety of weights so you can pick exactly what you need.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
If the smell doesn't bother you, Mobil 1 motor oil is one of the best and cheapest options
I thought about it.
I started using ballistal to see if I like it but hopps #9 is my usual go to.
I usually clean my guns with Ballistal if I haven't shot them very much. Everyone here has given me some great information. I just need a good lube to run in my AR 's.

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
I also use a synthetic Motor oil on any firearm I own. I usually buy a
quart of “0-20” weight and it’s thin, slippery and a quart is usually $5,
I look for the CloseOut shelf......if a $250,000 Race car engine uses Synthetic Oil for protection
A $1,000 gun ........,is not going to BE hurt.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
I also use a synthetic Motor oil on any firearm I own. I usually buy a
quart of “0-20” weight and it’s thin, slippery and a quart is usually $5,
I look for the CloseOut shelf......if a $250,000 Race car engine uses Synthetic Oil for protection
A $1,000 gun ........,is not going to BE hurt.
Thanks Frank. Several members said that they use Mobile One. Matter of fact I use it in all my cars and in my truck. I'm going to give it a shot.

Frank Thompson

Veteran Army & Air Force
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, Al
There are several synthetic motor oil brands that are good. I started with Mobil 1
Just be sure you don’t buy a “synthetic Blend” it is cheaper - not worth it, in long run !

CBG

Established Member
Apr 23, 2021
Hoover, AL
Pro-Shot All Weather Oil
It has a needle dispenser and is a small bottle - it will last forever.
I tried to read all I could on lubricants and the consensus (even in Kimber instructions) was that it takes just a few drops in critical spots on a 1911 as indicated here http://www.bullseyepistol.com/oiling.htm
The other big opinion is that you can't over oil a 1911. I'm sure this opinion also goes for other pistols.
I prefer to have a little oil in the right places so as not to have a dirt and grit magnet.
There are many folks on other forums that absolutely swear by Mobile 1. And when you read the comments in this post, it makes a lot of sense.
If you are looking for a quality lube, consider the Tetra products. I have some of their synthetic white grease in a small squirt tube that is very good. But I still believe that the old Pro-Shot does just as well.
I am firm believer in the G96. I always put some on a soft cotton t-shirt rag and wipe the pistol down before putting it back in the gun safe.

cutt

Established Member
Jul 11, 2020
st.clair county
Pro-Shot All Weather Oil
It has a needle dispenser and is a small bottle - it will last forever.
I tried to read all I could on lubricants and the consensus (even in Kimber instructions) was that it takes just a few drops in critical spots on a 1911 as indicated here http://www.bullseyepistol.com/oiling.htm
The other big opinion is that you can't over oil a 1911. I'm sure this opinion also goes for other pistols.
I prefer to have a little oil in the right places so as not to have a dirt and grit magnet.
There are many folks on other forums that absolutely swear by Mobile 1. And when you read the comments in this post, it makes a lot of sense.
If you are looking for a quality lube, consider the Tetra products. I have some of their synthetic white grease in a small squirt tube that is very good. But I still believe that the old Pro-Shot does just as well.
I am firm believer in the G96. I always put some on a soft cotton t-shirt rag and wipe the pistol down before putting it back in the gun safe.
Thanks CBG.

LAShooter

Established Member
Jul 15, 2018
Citronelle AL
I've been using 811 oil for around 25 years.
It treated me well in speed pistol competitions for many of those.

8 Parts Dexron ATF. Terrific lubricant. I'd use the III today. Was only one last time I mixed.
1 Part Marvel Mystery Oil. Contains cleaners that seem to. Run patches till clean and one with 811 on it and you'll see what I mean.
1 Part STP. Makes it hang in there a little better.

Reactions: Trs