New Alabama Resident - Question About Carry Laws

Florabama896

Established Member
Jun 30, 2024
AL
Coming from Florida, I have a Florida concealed weapons permit and have a couple questions now that I am an Alabama resident.

1. I know that Alabama is a permitless carry state, but I can't find much info on carrying in my vehicle. Does my pistol have to be concealed or can it be in the open, I.E. in holster/mount outside of console?
  2. In Florida, even with permitless carry, it was still required to carry identification with you when carrying. Do I need to have my drivers license on me while carrying in Alabama?
  3. Are there any benefits to getting an Alabama concealed weapons permit? In Florida, it was still advantageous to skip the waiting period for pistol purchase, but I don't believe that Alabama has a waiting period, correct?
Thanks!

GonzoGaddy

Premium Member
Jul 2, 2024
Moody, A
I found this online, which confirmed my recollection that the permitless carry law includes vehicles. I know it’s from a pro-gun control group. But it seems to be accurate. https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-alabama/

Regardless of what the letter of the law is, I would definitely have my ID on me while carrying a firearm. I remember a police officer telling me that Alabama law requires you to carry an ID while out in public. I really don’t think that’s the case, but that goes to show you that even law enforcement can be fuzzy on the law sometimes.

I’m not aware of anything a pistol permit does to expedite gun sales. The last two times I’ve purchased a gun at an Alabama business (both since January 2023), no one asked me about a pistol permit. And you are correct. No waiting period here.

Glad to have you in Alabama, though!

Florabama896

Established Member
Jun 30, 2024
AL
I found this online, which confirmed my recollection that the permitless carry law includes vehicles. I know it’s from a pro-gun control group. But it seems to be accurate. https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-alabama/

Regardless of what the letter of the law is, I would definitely have my ID on me while carrying a firearm. I remember a police officer telling me that Alabama law requires you to carry an ID while out in public. I really don’t think that’s the case, but that goes to show you that even law enforcement can be fuzzy on the law sometimes.

I’m not aware of anything a pistol permit does to expedite gun sales. The last two times I’ve purchased a gun at an Alabama business (both since January 2023), no one asked me about a pistol permit. And you are correct. No waiting period here.

Glad to have you in Alabama, though!
Thanks for your help and glad to be here, even if i have to deal with more Bama fans... War Eagle!

Oz82

Established Member
Dec 26, 2021
Blount County
The other thing to consider about a permit is the federal issue of having to be 100 feet* from the borders of school grounds unless you have a CCL. Due to this almost every square foot of urban areas will have anyone not permitted liable to catch a felony.

Shootist00

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
When I applied for my permit I did it online, Was approved in less than 5 minutes and was informed my permit was ready and at the sheriff's office that afternoon.

It is always advisable to carry some kind of ID whether you are carrying a gun or not. I never leave my house without money, a CC card, my DL, my CCL and my gun.

Ricochet

Established Member
Jan 20, 2024
Auburn
When I applied for my permit I did it online, Was approved in less than 5 minutes and was informed my permit was ready and at the sheriff's office that afternoon.

It is always advisable to carry some kind of ID whether you are carrying a gun or not. I never leave my house without money, a CC card, my DL, my CCL and my gun.
Unless you are planing tô shoot Trump where you can open carry a rifle, a giant ladder, roll on a roof in plain sight for 4 minutes and shoot 6 rounds in plain sight in a tight security area paid for by our tax payer money.

Florabama896

Established Member
Jun 30, 2024
AL

Thanks. I always carry my ID when I leave the house. Only time it is questionable is when I am at the gym, when the least bulk in my pockets, the better. Which is what my question was referring to.

Herman48

Established Member
Aug 13, 2024
Elba
When I drove to Phoenix, AZ, to visit with my daughter and her family, I made sure that I could carry, preferably concealed, in all the states I had to cross and the ones where I stopped. Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, and Arizona all recognize my Alabama concealed carry permit. New Mexico doesn't. However, an out-of-stater can carry his/her handgun in New Mexico, as long as it is not concealed. OK. No problem. Drive east instead of west, and Florida does the opposite. You can carry concealed, but if your gun becomes visible while you reach up to pick a can of beans from the high shelf in a supermarket you can get into trouble with Florida law. Go figure! We need a federal concealed carry law for all the states of the Union, with uniform regulations--like the driver's license, good in every state. But if Kameltoe wins in November, we won't even be allowed to carry an empty holster anywhere, concealed or not.

New Sales

Members online