Safe

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Let me ask ya'll this.... anybody owm a browning safe? Mark's outdoors had a Hell of a deal on them. The guy basically said he was getting rid of libertys and going to Browning. It was honestly too good of a deal to be true it seemed like.

erebos

Established Member
Sep 4, 2023
Montgomery, AL
I got an academy sports special a number of years back. Of course they are never big enough. Other than that I have been relatively happy with it. Fortunately it hasn't been tested.

DuaneW

Established Member
Jun 1, 2021
Talladega County
What are ya'lls opinions on safe brands? What safe would you buy? Not really looking on a budget. Want one that is fireproof for sure.
I have two Liberty President safes, one is a 50 and one is really huge and 2300+ pounds empty. It’s an older one back when you could custom order one. To me the Liberty President series are the best built that are affordable.

WileyG

Established Member
Dec 17, 2023
North Alabama
What are ya'lls opinions on safe brands? What safe would you buy? Not really looking on a budget. Want one that is fireproof for sure.
I realize this thread has some age on it BUT, to the OPs comment on fireproof........ there is no average consumer affordable safe on the market that is fireproof. Period. A person would have to get into mid 5 figure price range to get a safe that is actually CERTIFIED fire proof. Consider this, ESPECIALLY if you live in a rural area where the VFD is likely to arrive after the house is fully involved or burned down. I pray that none of us ever experience this BUT...... a house fire will get above 2000* when fully involved. Even if the safe stays intact it becomes an oven inside. All paper, plastic and wood items will be burned, melted/ruined and barrels warped, receivers heated beyond being salvageable, etc. Also, most fire ratings are subjective to that particular safe manufacturer and they write their own specs to say what they want. Personally, the bottom line for me on what I can afford in a gun safe is going to have me researching the thickest metal that I can afford. I have no illusions of saving much at all, if anything, from a fully involved house fire BUT I can greatly frustrate or even defeat the local meth head with the thickest metal that I can afford. There are far more home thefts than house fires and that's where I will focus my research criteria for MY safe purchase. YMMV.

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama
I realize this thread has some age on it BUT, to the OPs comment on fireproof........ there is no average consumer affordable safe on the market that is fireproof. Period. A person would have to get into mid 5 figure price range to get a safe that is actually CERTIFIED fire proof. Consider this, ESPECIALLY if you live in a rural area where the VFD is likely to arrive after the house is fully involved or burned down. I pray that none of us ever experience this BUT...... a house fire will get above 2000* when fully involved. Even if the safe stays intact it becomes an oven inside. All paper, plastic and wood items will be burned, melted/ruined and barrels warped, receivers heated beyond being salvageable, etc. Also, most fire ratings are subjective to that particular safe manufacturer and they write their own specs to say what they want. Personally, the bottom line for me on what I can afford in a gun safe is going to have me researching the thickest metal that I can afford. I have no illusions of saving much at all, if anything, from a fully involved house fire BUT I can greatly frustrate or even defeat the local meth head with the thickest metal that I can afford. There are far more home thefts than house fires and that's where I will focus my research criteria for MY safe purchase. YMMV.
Great point on setting the record straight on "fire proof". But instead of thicker metal, a safe that uses some form of concrete might be the way to go. The VP where I work purchased one like this after an extensive amount of research.

dc2010

Established Member
Apr 21, 2022
woodstock
Great point on setting the record straight on "fire proof". But instead of thicker metal, a safe that uses some form of concrete might be the way to go. The VP where I work purchased one like this after an extensive amount of research.
Speaking of concrete, i was reading the reply to this post on the fireproof and was just about to comment, i saw a small safe well i say small, like a cube size safe, that was mostly thick concrete, survive a house fire that there was nothing left of the house. And everything paper inside was still in tact.

rybern

Established Member
Aug 31, 2023
Albertville, Alabama